Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12x6" padauk slabs

Vibrant wood is well known among woodworkers to shift hue over time, I agree if one deals with finished products often it might be best to advise customers.

Since I don't sell much and since its impossible to predict even a general time frame or degree of shift, the thought rarely enters my mind. I love the wood for what it is, though I have yet to see an appreciable shift I'll just enjoy it while it lasts I guess.
    Doug

Sent yours BTW Scott, here is a sneak peak and also included a freebie for being a stand up guy !

Stuff is going quick, got 2 more orders from here but I still have more if anyone is interested, went out and bought the last slab they had before the price went back up, more than double what I paid.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doug

EXCELLENT timing Doug!
    Sent someone my spoilboard file, and tried to make it easier to cut on Desktop factory spoilboard, and f***** up the Tiling,and wound up scrounging in garage cutting MDF/dowels and changing the file over to my bits,ad nauseum , to make sure this file was perfect in actuality.
    Picture was a breath of fresh air!
    Thanks again.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks for the orders, all have been shipped and I have a bit more if anyone is in need.
    Doug

JUST showed up Doug
    Thanks for the little sap/heart piece!
    It will tie in perfectly with my big piece I'm using as a stretcher for a silk "Moon Phase" scarf from the Guggenheim gift shop!
    Hanging it from my picture rails, and was wondering what I was going to use as a bottom weight to hold the silk taut(Sterling bracelet thickness wire attached to your piece will look nice
    Nice to have some thicker Padauk!!!
    Thanks for everything.
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Looks like a poodle is trapped behind the wood !

That is a little slice of cocobolo, looks freakishly orange I know.
    Doug

Because I sit on my A** all the time, I'm a big fan of New Zealand fleeces(machine washable). Got half a dozen scattered around the house.

Ah! Shows how observant I am. Thought it was heavy, but put it down to the wax on backside.
    Maybe NOT so freakishly orange. See the stripes of color in the first piece of Cocobolo I've ever cut. (for my Dad, funny...that was a gift also)
    THANKS!!!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

I started a thread here about that cocobolo, nice wood but something unnatural about it and it still doesn't add up in my mind.
    It drastically increased its vibrancy when cut, almost as if being exposed to air set off some reaction.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...c-wood-experts
    Doug

Yup.
    Almost said the "infamous Cocobolo"
    I think more probably it's UV primarily, like in Cherry/Padauk/Bloodwood/Purpleheart.
    Passive solar here, so tons of UV and you notice it.
    Air may be a factor, but I've immersed buttons in hot wax, and only the side facing direct sunlight was affected.
    Tried a UV wax (Harris, but no longer made) and it worked for several months in a test.
    Indirect sun isn't anywhere near as bad. Took my Cherry kitchen cabinets 3 years indirect sun not to look like Pine color, and only now(20 yrs) getting real deep color.
    Thanks for that small piece! Doubled my Cocobolo inventory
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Have 1 more Priority box of 6 left and thats it, sold around a dozen boxes and I am down to personal stash after that. [Po ladies dread seeing me, boxes are pretty heavy]

As stated in OP with the exception that all slabs will be around .75 thick, haven't cut them yet so if you have thickness requirements [ie 1 more than .75, 2 a bit less] I might be able to oblige [really hate bandsawing padauk, dust is very fine and filter clogging, pretty though]
    Also, pic is not the exact slabs I have now, those were sold long ago, same species and generally the same.
    Doug