Thread: How much voltage can/should the 4G board get? How about resistance tolerance?

Default How much voltage can/should the 4G board get? How about resistance tolerance?

Still trying to sleuth out motor motion issues -

How much DC voltage should the power supply be putting out to the 4G board?

I have Geko drives on the 4G board and they are marked 18-80 volts. Next to each driver there is a resistor which looks like a 15K resistor - the colors are brown, green, orange, and then a silver stripe.

I measured the resistance at each of the 4 resistors (powered off) and got z= 1193, y= 1193, X2= 1189, X1=1187

My motors are the PK296 A1a 7.2 .25/step

I had the power supply putting out 47.9 volts since I installed the 4G board and I was able to jog at 6 inches per second.
    Now any jog speed of 5 or greater will stall out the motors* but a jog speed of 4.99 works fine.
    * The motors will travel 20 to 24 inches at a jog speed of 6 before they emit a higher pitch sound and then stall or loose steps.

I have all ramps within default settings or at Brady recommended variations for slow corner speed and look ahead settings.

I have shut off every unnecessary windows service and power saving/hibernation setting. The computer is not online, and no wireless network.

So the questions are:
    Does the power supply need to be set higher or lower or leave it at 47.9? This power supply gives a little over 60v DC when dialed all the way up.

Will changing the power supply output voltage allow me to jog at 6 inches per second again?

Why can it jog at 6 inches per second for 22-24 inch distance but farther than that it stalls and misses steps? At 4.99 inches per second I can jog til the cows come home and I don't have cows. 5 inches per second and faster jogs result in problems.

Are the resistors reading within an acceptable range? They should be within + or - 10% (silver band) That means they should be between 13,500 and 16,500 if they are 15k (brn, grn, orange, silver) They were measured while installed on the board, power off. My measurements has them all below 12k.

When the motors start that higher pitch sound and then miss steps, is it because they are not getting signals or are they getting too many signals? This happens when jogging from the keyboard or from typing in a jog command or when running a file, both with no load and motors dropped from the racks and with pinions engaged in the racks.

Previously I thought it was X motors only however I confirmed it also happens on the Y motor.

Beuhler . . . ?

B E U H L E R . . . ?

on the bottom left chart the motor is rated @ 48VDC , if you look at the dashed line for SG7.2 motor spec , the torque drops off at around 50 RPM ,, I had a 4G set up with a 70VDC power supply so you should be able to turn it up ,as long as the 12VDC to the board does not change , 6 inch is a bit fast , it may be stalling from lack of torque as the RPM gets up over 50 RPM hope this helps
    ArtCam Pro 9
    VCarve Pro 8