Quote Originally Posted by verhoevc View Post
OK, now I'm pissed! A $5-$10 neck blank loss is fine. But this was a $50 African Blackwood rosewood fretboard this time!
I thought this was addressed. As you can see above, I have grounded everything and the extraction hose no longer runs anywhere near the machine's motors.
However, once again, it decided to only screw up when I finally trust it enough again to go do something else while it runs. For some reason it decided to lose Y-steps again while running a 3D path again made in MeshCAM (exact same scenario as previous failure above... ironically on the replacement neck for the previous failure).
As you can see, this wasn't a single "jump" in position, it continued to wander more and more as it went along:

However, this was a file I had previously run successfully! So first thing I did is re-zero'd the axes (yes, the Y was incorrect at the end of the paths) and ran the exact same file again. As you can see here, it finished all the way to the end of the fretboard without issue this time:

(Granted, it looks like I needed to set the Z a little lower so the radius'd fretboard goes all the way across the board, not missing the center as seen here).

This is so frustrating! Both times this has happened it's been when I haven't been around to watch it. Having a CNC I can't trust to do what it's supposed to do without me watching it really defeats the purpose of having a CNC! Now I'm scared to put anything on it!
It feels like I have Schrodinger's CNC: it has both destroyed and not destroyed my work until I check on it.
Please help!
Chris
Try running a file without your shop vac on. Just get it out of the way. I think it's a static issue. You'll know if you eliminate that possibility.

Unless you are using an expensive vacuum like a festool, with an anti static hose, vacuuming chops causes a lot of static buildup and discharge.