Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drifting Skipping Axis?

Lastly, here is me moving the gantry pushing on the left side (side with the worst bearing imo):

Towards the end of the video you can hear it bind several times as it runs along.
    Sadly, I've also pushed the gantry around without that bad bearing attached and I still get these binding issues. However, perhaps that could be a symptom of simply not having equal load support without that 4th bearing attached? Who knows...
    Chris

I wouldn't push the gantry around like that. Motor plus electricity= movement...motor plus movement= electricity.....you can fry components on your board unless motor wires have been disconnected
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

That's what I would have figured too... I never had until the Shopbot folks told me to...
    Chris

Be very careful doing that with your steppers plugged in

I had that discussion with them and the rates at which I'm doing these tests damage is not likely.
    That said: hopefully this has reached resolution! Apparently the linear bearing sided in my year's Desktop production were succeptible to degradation from two very specific dust types: pine and corian. Almost ever single test I did while learning was done in cheap, Home Depot pine... sigh.
    Good news: since these bearings are no longer used they have a few spare that they were happpy to send me and help me with some other stuff to keep ALL dust off my rails.

They've been super helpful! Will update once I've made the swaps.
    Chris

Ok, so I replaced all the bearings on either side of my Desktop but am just now getting around to actually testing them. I'm still not convinced I've gotten everything covered though. I wanted to include a video of some strange. Poses the machine makes sometimes when moving on a diagonal path. It is still doing it after the bearing swap so I figured I'd see if people had any opinions on it:

Thoughts?
    Chris

What's the Move Speed on that roughing move?
    I've had similar sound/vibration on radio button moves in that direction(I forget the MS) and changing MS down .2IPS made it smooth again.
    Maybe run the aircut, and using Shift(holding it down) and the < > keys to see if a few .1 IPS changes makes it run smooth, and then mod the the file MS and spindle speed?
    Every machine has slightly different spots with bad resonance, and seems you found one.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Changing the speed did not have an impact on the vibration on the two legs where it does it... at least not in a positive sense. If anything things got worse as the feed was slowed.
    I can do another video if it helps? But I don't know how much will be learned from seeing it do the same, just at a different pitch, from the last video.
    Chris

Have you checked into adjusting the pots on the drivers? You may be able to dial out some of that resonance.
    Scott

No, I'm fairly new to this whole thing so a lot of this stuff, like adjusting pot values?, is Greek to me.
    The reason I thought this might be an issue isn't because it's ever failed while making that noise... but instead both times it has failed has been when I've been milling something along a center-line that's a diagonal between the lower left and upper right of the table. Moving along this line is when it sometimes makes that noise and vibration... moving along the X-axis for a part along that line on a finishing pass is when it has failed both times.
    Chris