Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Drifting Skipping Axis?

On the slow down issue, what version of SB3 are you running? I had that same slow down issue with 3D cuts on my PRS Alpha until one of the latest versions. I'm running 3.8.48 now and haven't had the slowdown issue. You can update to that one or one of the next two version (3.8.48 or 3.8.50).

As to the lost steps, you should look at adjusting the ramp settings for running 3D files. The default settings can cause lost steps upon direction changes if they're too abrupt. You can save your defaults and then set up for 3D and save those. That way, you can return to them as needed. Post a clear shot of your current ramp settings (from the VR screen). Use the snipping tool in Windows and choose a rectangular snip and select just the fill-in sheet screen. That way it will be large enough to see here.

If you need more info on saving ramp values for later use, just ask.
    Scott

Yeah, I'm a little behind hahaha. I'm running 3.8.14 which is just what came on the original install when I bought the machine (eg: I've never updated it ops). Firmware version is 220.
    I just installed 3.8.50 so let's see how things go!

Here's the screenshot of my ramp settings. I have literally never been to this screen before, so I'm sure this is what they've always been. This shot was taken when I was still running version 3.8.14
    RampSettings.jpg

Best,
    Chris

Yeah Chris, Go to 3.8.48 like I'm running also. I remember a LOT of issues with 3.8.14 which my machine had.
    https://support.shopbottools.com/sup...ntrol-software
    You've been fairly lucky as there was a MASSIVE Pause/Resume glitch right around that time if you spacebar Paused during a Z move.
    I also think there's something funky sounding at the reverse direction moment.
    Can't remember at the moment if you HAVE to UI (Utilities tab Install control firmware), but I always do anyways.
    Think capital S Scott nailed it
    scott
    Last edited by scottp55; 09-23-2018 at 07:33 PM.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Ok, first off, get up and running with the new version. Be sure to perform the firmware update if it didn't automatically do it. Go to Utilities/Update Control Box firmware and follow the prompts. Some of those early 3.8 versions were really testy!

On the ramps, read up on it here. Try 150 for the 3D ramp threshold, .08 for the minimum distance to check, and 35-40% on the slow corner speed (these would be for 3D work, leave the .08 as is, but put the others back for normal work) Your feed rates will differ from those in the article, but I'd try the 1.5 to 2.0 range for both. The slower the z, the more the xy have to slow down for the z.
    Scott

Chris,
    I was also thinking of other things that weren't mentioned.
    Before the machine arrived I talked to everybody from Ted and down at Shopbot, and some other Desktoppers asking stuff to do before it arrived.
    We put a separate 20A breaker in the panels/subpanels that is used ONLY for the Shopbot in all 3 Desktop locations.
    We located that breaker away from the other large draw sources.

I'm on country power with lots of "Blips" and a few second power losses, also had power drops when 220A compressor/hot tub/dryer/furnace kicked on etc.
    Decided to add a CyberPower Uninterrupted power source to all 3 machines(more as a line conditioner, but saved my butt several times on the short blackouts).
    A lot of the little glitches and gremlins disappeared after that.

Have any problems showed up when you noticed something kicked on?
    Are all wires coiled neatly in the same place close together....WRONG! Crosstalk can cause all kinds of problems, usually intermittent.
    Spread them out a bit, and keep large power cords away from the USB cord.

Scott's probably got the major problem sussed, but thought I'd mention these as may be why I have had so few problems for years.
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Been MAD busy. But I’m most way through reading the suggested materials and making changes. Hoping to find time to run a bunch of tests soon too if the day-job will chill out. Will keep you all posted. Thank you thank you!
    Chris

@srwtlc the ramps learning link doesn't seem to be working?
    Best,
    Chris

scott P.
    Maine

So far with the new software and firmware upgrades and VR settings my tests are going well (even at my old feed rates!... no point in changing everything at once or else it'll be hard to tell what helped and what didn't).
    More to come!
    Chris

So I had a LOT of success with these new ramp settings in 3D! I did a HUGE several-hour run with no issues. Along with a couple other smaller 3D runs. All went off without a hitch.
    Need to remember to switch back to the 2D settings afterwards though as I forgot to and got... less than desirable results with that. Not the end of the world, nothing that won't sand out, but hoped for better.
    I did still have one instance in a 2D path where it stopped and paused for a good while. I stopped the machine and set everything back up. Who knows, maybe after it started moving again everything would have been fine... but given my past experiences I wasn't really inclined to find out.
    Still not comfortable leaving the machine to run on it's own though... which kind of defeats the purpose of a CNC!
    Chris