Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PR & PRT Control Upgrades

I have and older shopbot with that i upgraded with the 4g card. what all do you recommend for the upgrade to the rezurrection? also is the 4g card worth anything?

Randy...
    Assuming all the components are in place and operable there will always be some value for any ShopBot control box. I would assume that as these legacy components degrade and become inoperable over time that value will decline. That said, one of the benefits of upgrading to a REZurrection system is the resale value of existing control components to your peers. A number of users have been able to reduce the cost of new REZurrection system by 35 to 50% by reselling their used control boxes.

I will not comment on recommendations or actual value, for the obvious reasons, but hopefully those that have upgraded will share their experience.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Randy...
    Assuming all the components are in place and operable there will always be some value for any ShopBot control box. I would assume that as these legacy components degrade and become inoperable over time that value will decline. That said, one of the benefits of upgrading to a REZurrection system is the resale value of existing control components to your peers. A number of users have been able to reduce the cost of new REZurrection system by 35 to 50% by reselling their used control boxes.

I will not comment on recommendations or actual value, for the obvious reasons, but hopefully those that have upgraded will share their experience.
    Thanks, how does the rezurrection compare to the alpha?

Randy...
    I have sold systems that have cutting ability near that of the alpha, but are limited to 15ips rapids. These, of course, are higher priced offerings than what is shown in this thread. Also, I am hesitant to sell these systems to owners that do not have the latest model PRT's and only if they have the hardened rail upgrade.

What you can expect with the system shown in this thread with the optional belt drives is smoother cutting at 3-4ips with 1.5 to 2 times the cut depth and jog speeds in the 8-10ips range. This assumes that your V rails and rollers are in good shape and adjusted properly.

Send an email to GCnC411@gmail.com for more info
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

To helpfully reduce some confusion....

Spindle on and off via software command is a feature of the SB RBK board and is included with all REZurrection controls.

If you wish to add software control of a router (or 2) you will need to add an optional router contactor. IF you wish, these can be prewired with cords and ands for a plug and play installation.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein

Default Update to this Thread

I wanted to post an update to this thread. Due to recent experience, I now find it necessary to include a ShopBot Controller Card with all REZurrection control systems. I apologize for the $350 increase in price.

History has shown that in most cases customers that purchased a control box and wished to use their existing controller card were overwhelmed with connection issues and numerous other related problems. In a few cases, the new control system had the same problems as the old.

In the end, the majority of these ended up being problems with the customer's computer and its inability to "hold" a USB connection, and may have been the reason the customer chose to purchase the REZurrection system.

I do not wish to sell a control system, when you may need a computer. I also do not wish to sell any system without completely testing it in it's working configuration. Thank you for your patience.

The $100 "core charge" on old controllers still applies. Anyone that sends me their old controller card will receive a $100 credit towards the purchase price.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein

Can I use the belt drives with a 4g box on an old pr with an upgraded Z? If so can I use my same motors?

Thanks

The NEMA 23 and 34 belt drives will work on any PRT. Some of the older models with the short angle iron bracket require drilling a new pivot hole to keep the motor in the center of the car. The NEMA 23 Z unit comes drilled and tapped for 3 or 4 mounting options on the PRT. Only the NEMA 34 Z unit has a bolt pattern for ShopBot's Retro Z.

You cannot use any of the original gear motors with these belt drives. You cannot add belt drives and motors to any of the control boxes that are housed in a PC chassis. The originals were designed for 1, 1 1/2, or 2 amp motors. The ones I provide are 4 1/2 to 7 amps. They are an improvement because they have so much more power.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein

Figured I'd drop in a 6 month update on my Rezurection system...

I had an old 4G system on my PRS Standard that needed upgrading. Gary built me this box: (fast forward to 2:30 to see the control box)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U6QszrM0wcXWCa8i1

Here it is on Gary's bench: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSR0YYE44jQ

This was a complete system. Totally new control board (ShopBot RBK) new drivers, wiring, and new motors with Gary's belt drive. My old motors had a lot of backlash in them from years of use. This new system is incredbily tight. My cut quality has gone up signifigantly. Since I had a PRS Gary was able to "hot rod" this system. It's got gobs of power now. I typically jog at 18 IPS with pretty aggressive ramping. I can push it hard and I never have to worry about losing any steps because I'm not operating near the motor's limits. I do a bunch of small production runs on a regular basis like this HDPE job:

IMG_20170920_154944.jpg

I cut these parts in 24" squares. When I first started out on the PRS with the old 4G system it took about 30 minutes to do one of these squares. Now with this new system (And an air drill) I've gotten that cut time down to 9 minutes. On top of that the cut quality is much better. So while it's cool to be able to say "I can jog at 18 IPS" the real advantage for me is that my production speed (and quality) is much better.

So shout out to Gary for building me an awesome system!