Thread: Update shopbot control computer with VCarve Pro Shopbot edition

Default Update shopbot control computer with VCarve Pro Shopbot edition

i am guessing this is pretty easy but I have a question about how to update VcarvePro on my Shopbot control computer. I had version 8.505 on my design and control computers. Last week I was working on the design computer and I checked for VCarvePro updates. It found 8.511 and updated the design computer without a hitch. The only problem is I can't open the 8.511 file with 8.505 on the control computer.
    What is the best way to update VCarvePro on the control computer?
    I have teh VCarvePro Shopbot version of the software. Do I download the 8.511 file from the Vectric Website onto a thumb drive and copy it onto the design computer? Or is there some other workaround for this?
    Regards
    Peter Smith
    Peter Smith

Peter...
    When you say " I can't open the 8.511 file with 8.505 on the control computer.", how are you trying to open the file? Are you double clicking the file from an Explorer window, or are you using the "Open" icon or file menu selection and then navigating to the file?

If the former is true, then this may just be a file association issue. There are numerous solutions posted on the Vectric forum to this point.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I think he is getting the this file was created on a newer version. Open your Vcarve and go to help and upgrade it

This is a real pain in the butt and I wish that Vectric would address it. If you upgrade your version of the software and then open a file that you have previously saved make a couple of changes and save it again the software will mark is as being saved by the latest version. You now will not be able to open it on the version in which it was created. I have wasted a ton of time drawing up my projects at home and then finding out that I could not access them on my shop computer.
    The fix is to download the upgrade to a flash drive and then upgrade the version you have on the control computer.

Peter,
    In design computer find the Shopbot Edition patch, transfer to thumbdrive, transfer to control computer, and run it.
    The downloaded one from Vectric site is Not looking for the Shopbot edition.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

What worked for me was copying the updated VCarvePro Shopbot Edition executable file from the Design Computer to the Control Computer and overwriting the older version. As soon as I did that, then I had the most recent version working on the Design Computer. I tried copying the Shopbot Edition patch onto the Design Computer but it would not make the update for me.
    Regards
    Peter
    Peter Smith

Weird Peter, worked on both of our Win 7 control computers(Dell and a HP tower...no internet ever)
    Glad you're set though
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine