Thread: I need a better outdoor clear finish.

Default I need a better outdoor clear finish.

I usually only d oa couple signs that I actually put finish on so buying a gallon of finish has been out of the picture.but now I have 7 8'x13" ship signs to do and I want to use a high end finish. the wood is sapele wood. I have used general finishes 3 to 4 coats and it last about 3 years in my tests. it needs to be waterborne and brush able. well maybe not waterborne if it is not too bad in smell as I can't air out my shop well. .

Two excellent options are Sikkens Marine and Epifanes. Both should be easily available in your area.
    Nope-Not Water Borne, but definitely brushable.
    Lasting time in outdoor with high finish clearcoat is highly problematic. I Shoot for easier re-finish as many of the spar varnishes need virtual re-stripping if not light sanded and recoated annually in marine environment. 14 years doing nothing but boats in Seattle was a great teacher.
    Sikkens is more easily maintained than most. Real Mahogany (Honduran/South American) is superior by far to Sapele (African cousin) but I get the major cost difference now is convincing lots of people that Sapele=Mahogany. It doesn't.

what is the time usually between coats in regular indoor temps and total dry time? Sometimes for this company they have had such a rush that even a waterborne finish is tough to get done in time.

Modern Masters makes a UV clear coat which you can brush/roll/spray. Otherwise, automotive clear coat is generally speaking the best/most reliable clear coat that I know of. A local autobody shop might do it for you for a reasonable price.

I don't push those finishes under 1 coat per day indoors. The only faster finishes I use are catalyzed.

Naw, it's Sikkens. Now it comes in quarts. It's so forgiving.