Thread: Slot and tab construction?

Default Slot and tab construction?

I want to build a small set of stairs for my dog to be able to climb to be able to get into the bed and i would like to be able to create slots and tabs for these parts to be able to be just put together. I've seen guys create projects like that but not sure how it is done? What program they use? Is there some gadget or add on, or?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Mortise and tenon? If so, just draw your squares for the main parts and add rectangular tenons to the sides and align the mortises with them in the other pieces. Oversize the mortises by about .020 in height and .010 in width and use the filet tool on the corners of the mortises and the inside of the tenons. You really need to measure the thickness of your material prior to cutting so you can know how wide to make and how deep to cut the mortises and how wide the tenons need to be. There are several videos on Youtube that Vectric made that gives good instruction. Takes a little time to draw up but well worth it when it just slips together during glue up and you don't have to use fasteners.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

I've never seen a program or add in but Fusion 360 would be a great place to model them and then hand off to Vcarve for tool paths.