Thread: Setting speeds on new Desktop Max

Default Setting speeds on new Desktop Max

New Desktop Max, and new SB3 user

Default speeds on startup were 1.5 ips move, and 3.0 ips jog. I changed them to 4.0 and 6.0, then exited and restarted the SB3. The Command Console now shows 4.0 and 6.0 on startup, but when I activate the keypad and jog, the values in the Command Console revert to 1.5 and 3.0. The machine jogs at approx 3 ips. If I then exit the keypad, the Console values return to 4.0 and 6.0.

I searched the forum but found no matches, and the User's Manual didn't help. What am I doing wrong?
    Ron Woodson
    Desktop Max
    Six inch rotary axis
    Aspire 9
    Kentucky

The values set in the console are used when you run a file that may not have feedrate values in it, when you run one of the 'Cut' menu routines like cut rectangle, when you issue any of the two key commands like MX, JX, J2, or JH, and it determines your jog speed for any J2, J3 or JH values in a file. The keypad values are limited to a predetermined 'max' setting per type of machine (you can set lower values in the console, but higher will just default to presets). It's basically meant to keep the operator from zippin' too fast with the keypad and not letting off the gas soon enough to stop before running into something or hitting the limits/hard stops. It also makes positioning where you want to be easier. Remember also, that you can hit the D key to lock in a set nudge distance (value in the box is able to be set when active) and J to make all moves at jog speed instead of using the Ctrl + arrows. When using escape after one of the toggle keys, the first escape cancels that function and the second escape closes the keypad.
    Scott

Scott,
    Thanks for the reply. It explains a major part of the issue.
    The Desktop Max is touted to cut at 4.0 ips and jog at 6.0 ips, so I don't think I'm exceeding any machine limitations.
    I most likely will never need these speeds, I do need to get above the current defaults of 1.5 and 3.0 ips, but can't find where to increase these values.
    Thanks, again
    Ron Woodson
    Desktop Max
    Six inch rotary axis
    Aspire 9
    Kentucky