Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's really inside particle board....

Default What's really inside particle board....

I have a batch of "designer" melamine that's destroying bits at an alarming rate. Product is Stevenswood Takase Teak. Bits are the same brand I've used with almost flawless results for years now. Just tuned up/lubed bot for this big run. My Centurion bits only last about 3 sheets and start chipping this dark colored product at about 1 chip per 30". Never had such a problem in 5 years. Last project was Hardrock Maple and worked great.

Examined brand new bit by magnifying with a lupe after 3 sheets, and finding scored/chipped edges on the solid carbide compression edges of bit. Seems there must be a lot more than just sawdust in the core of this batch.....

Anyone have suggestions for a better grade of carbide via another manufacturer, or do I just have to burn an extra couple hundred bucks in tooling to get through this?

Jeff

Jeff,
    from the site"...core materials contains 100% recycled and/or recovered fiber with the option of no added urea formaldehyde in the core or surface "
    You seeing any metal filings or chips after the cut? A magnet going through the sawdust show the type of garbage thrown in.
    Not much you can do if they're throwing floor sweepings into the vat.

Bummer!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Not cheap, but I suspect a PCD bit would hold up longer, supposedly 25 times the life of carbide:
    http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5729-cnc...-rotation.aspx

I did a 40 sheet project in melamine about 4 years ago and what I've found destroys bits with melamine is the resin to hold all the stuff together and the melamine skin really eats bits fast. I think on 40 sheets I went thru at least 8 1/4" compression bits and 10 sets of replacement inserts for a 90* bevel cutter. Other then diamond, not sure what would hold up for any length of time with melamine.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I found a fork in particle board once. In my experience anything can be in particle board.

My experience has been when not using a dust hood and watching the bit cut, several times i've seen sparks fly off the cut like it was striking bits of metal. I think they throw whatever junk they have into some of this stuff.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I agree- some very strange material ends up in those sheets....

Based on responses and weighing past experience, I think the key is the facing. Not only a print, but has a texture as well, and this is my first experience with the product. I also have seen the groove effect in bits long ago when I was cleaning up melamine on a router table....

The PCD bit looks attractive - actually fairly reasonable for what it is. Only catch is bit diameter, as I'm all batched up for 1/4". Just received a backup supply of bits today- trying a variety of brands and prices -will report whether any of these make a difference.

While I thought of breaking sheets down into groups of three, altering depth of cut to stretch bit life, I've found the tip is suffering the most, so eventually the upcut tip is causing issues on the bottom face as it wears.

Oh well- quote a few hundred more bucks on the next batch of this product to cover tooling.
    (gosh, I miss cutting plywood....)

Thanks all!

Jeff

PS: As mentioned in one of the woodweb posts, every time I contact suppliers regarding any QC controls or issues like this, they all say the same thing: "that's strange - I've never seen or heard of this problem before". Makes you want to say: "well then it must not be happening to me now...."

I've found metal shavings/chunks in particleboard. I too have seen little sparks come off while machining particleboard, both straight particleboard and melamine.
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

I have been using Canadian made particle board (90% of my veneers are laid up on 3/4" particle board core) as well as the melamine I use. I go through enough per year to get a good idea of whats what. In my experience the stuff Im buying is very clean, uniform and I have never cut anything odd like metal/stones/etc.

Most of the veneers I use are also made in Ontario, not far from me. The only non-Canadian product I use is some of the newer textured wood grain melamines, or high gloss, and super matte, and they are imported from Europe. Also pretty uniformly clean.

Where are these products manufactured, that you guys are using? USA made or imported?