Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cleaned and lubed up, and new pinions day

Quote Originally Posted by nat_wheatley View Post
    Anyone have any tips/tricks to getting the old pinions off? I have a new set on the way (thanks to this thread for the nudge) and remember that last time I did it, as least one of the pinions took a bit of a wrestling match to get off.
    Mine slid off very easily after loosening the two grub screws in the solid hub part of the gear.

I do have a small gear puller - an old snap-on I got for nothing at a yard sale. Similar to what Gary is describing I am sure.

I am so frustrated. I have tried 4 different times to remove the gear on my z axis, The hex nuts just wont budge, I have bought new drive hex tools and a torch. I do strongly believe that red locktite was used instead of blue. The owner of SB indicated that i should drill out the nuts and i have the bits to do that. Gary you referred to a cheap armature puller on ebay to use. I dont want to waste any more money buying the wrong tool, so could you be more specific on which one to buy. The question could go out to anyone who can answer it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy1296 View Post
    I am so frustrated. I have tried 4 different times to remove the gear on my z axis, The hex nuts just wont budge, I have bought new drive hex tools and a torch. I do strongly believe that red locktite was used instead of blue. The owner of SB indicated that i should drill out the nuts and i have the bits to do that. Gary you referred to a cheap armature puller on ebay to use. I dont want to waste any more money buying the wrong tool, so could you be more specific on which one to buy. The question could go out to anyone who can answer it for me.

You could try heating the grub screw with a small butane torch. Melt the Loctite and expand the metal. If you don't loosen the grubs they will score the shaft using a puller.

I had it red hot yesterday using my new torch, unfortunately it did not work. I was going to use the puller after i drill out the nuts. I just want to insure that i buy the right puller. I have already bought a cheap one and it appears to be too big.

Thanks

Sorry to hear your having so much trouble. I didnt have any issues, but I know set screws can be a PITA when they strip and I have had other similar problems (not on my Bot but with other equipment).

I have a small Snap On puller, got it used at a yard sale. It is the size of a puller made for battery terminals on heavy equipment. About the same size as the smallest size gear pullers. Pretty striaght forward, there are two arms with teeth that spread apart and go over the gear, attached to a central part that has the threaded rod/handle and point which goes on the end of the shaft. Tighten the handle and the rod pushes against the shaft with the arms pulling the gear up and hopefully off.

What about taking a small grinder and cutting the gear almost to the shaft, and then taking a cold chisel and breaking it? If the gear is stock and you dont need to save it...

I'm with cutting it and or using a nut splitter. You wouldn't risk damaging the shaft while pulling and damaging any seals with heat (too late for that).
    Scott

Thanks for the advice regarding cutting it. I have some pretty good blades for my dremel and may end up going that way. On the good side I am not down. i am currently at 16 hrs of cutting a large 3-d plaque and 6 hrs to go. Until now i have never heard of a nut splitter.

Cowboy:

I recently had to replace the bearings on my Dewalt surface planer… the outer race pulled off leaving the inner race “welded” to the shaft. I used the method of splitting the race with my Dremel and using a nut splitter to expand the race, It worked really well! I’m sure it will do the job here also!

SG

Want to add a note: Do not strike or pound on a stepper motor shaft. In some (many) cases the shock will destroy the motor
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I finished my 21 hour cut without a hitch. The cut off tool followed by a nut splitter sounds do-able. I am big on reading reviews before i purchase something. Most nut splitters on Amazon have poor reviews or mediocre at best. You guys that have used them do you have a make or model that your prefer? Somehow size has to play a role in this also.