Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bird feeder

Default bird feeder

I was asked to make up a few bird feeders for one customer. They were going to finish them, I just needed to cut them out of some plywood. Used 12mm (1/2") Baltic birch with an exterior grade glue. Based on a feeder they already had.

Base is 14" by 14". Goes together easily. I used PUR glue, no fasteners.

I can get three units from one 48" by 48" and 2/3 of another.

Anyone want the files, let me know. Or I can post the .DXF files here when I get a chance.

looks good Andrew, love to make one for a friend of my Mom who is really into birds
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

I would like the files if you could send to myxpykalix@hotmail.com. I have a question. A dog rescue agency asked me to try to design some "pound together" dog houses so the volunteers could just use a mallet to put them together. My question is, how do you deal with the potential for water leakage into those joints on the roof? Were they going to cover that?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

ill attach the .dxf file for all the parts needed (two sides, four fence pieces, one bottom, one left roof and one right roof

The tabs/slots are sized exactly for 1/2" material.

Andrew

PS the file was too big for the front and back with the v carve design on it. I took it off. You can rebuild it, but taking the one off of the fence, mirroring it, and drawing an oval/ellipse in the center.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Andrew,

Those are great looking bird feeders! I would appreciate a copy of your files. I didn't know that Baltic birch is available with a "external" type glue. How do specify that to your supplier?

Thanks in advance,

J

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    I would like the files if you could send to myxpykalix@hotmail.com. I have a question. A dog rescue agency asked me to try to design some "pound together" dog houses so the volunteers could just use a mallet to put them together. My question is, how do you deal with the potential for water leakage into those joints on the roof? Were they going to cover that?
    Jack,
    You could pocket the roof instead of cut all the way through, and shorten the lugs on the front and back pieces.

Im not too worried about the .030" gap.. lol. My plywood reads .470" and the slot is .5" exactly. Not much of a gap, and the PUR glue fills that up pretty much anyhow. The feeder will get snow and rain in all 4 sides anyhow. The roof is just there to give it some basic protection. Not to make it waterproof.

You guys take the DXF and modify to suit your own ply, and tastes.

If I were making these for myself, finished - Id drill a few drainage holes in the bottom as well.

The guys these are for, is getting his cousin to Line-X them black (yes, really). They will be encased in plastic soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by James M View Post
    Andrew,

Those are great looking bird feeders! I would appreciate a copy of your files. I didn't know that Baltic birch is available with a "external" type glue. How do specify that to your supplier?

Thanks in advance,

J

The stuff with the water proof glue line is sold here only in 4x8 sheets. Costs a bit more than the 5x5 stuff per sq foot.

I attached the files.. you just need to import them and make your own tool paths.

“I can get three units from one 48" by 48" and 2/3 of another.”

Andrew…
    Can you post a rendering of your nesting… I can only get 2 per 48 X 48.
    Thanks!
    SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by James M View Post
    Andrew,

Thanks in advance,

J
    I've just asked them for exterior or marine grade wood. Around here it cost a little less than 2x the cost of non-exterior / marine grade wood.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    “I can get three units from one 48" by 48" and 2/3 of another.”

Andrew…
    Can you post a rendering of your nesting… I can only get 2 per 48 X 48.
    Thanks!
    SG
    What I meant was it took me 1.6 sheets of 49"x48" matl to get three feeders.
    If I can nest two per 48 I can get 4 per full sheet. You did better than I did...