Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feed and speed for Onsrud 60-113 Compression Bit in Baltic Birch

Todd...
    Due to the upcut section on the compression bit you will need to plunge straight in. They are designed to do exactly that, speed appropriate of course.

In most cases you can just set the directional change as climb first pass(s) and conventional last. No need to offset vectors.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by johnsontoddr View Post
    Don: will the climb cut at the stock perimeter automatically leave 1/32" due to the physics, or should I create the toolpath to leave a 1/32" skin then finish that with a second conventional cut at the exact stock perimeter?
    You will need to create 2 toolpaths. First one is the climb cut leaving the 1/32" skin. Second toolpath is the one that cuts all the way thru.

Gary brought up a good point. Each machine will be slightly different. You need to spend the time dialing in what's best for YOUR machine. Other people don't have the same thing you do. So, take the time and experiment. Like Gary said I've been using my full size Alpha with vacuum gold down cutting commercially since 2009. I've spent time tuning it (read breaking bits) and figuring out what the sweet spots are for my machine. I cut well over fifteen hundred sheets of plywood a year on my machine. That doesn't include all the 3D carving I do for myself and customers plus all the hardwood cutting I do when making furniture. Each owner will have to do the same.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Todd...
    Due to the upcut section on the compression bit you will need to plunge straight in. They are designed to do exactly that, speed appropriate of course.

In most cases you can just set the directional change as climb first pass(s) and conventional last. No need to offset vectors.

Like Gary says here, you don't need to factor in any kind of offset in your cut. The final conventional cut will end up cutting about .001" - .005". At least that's what is is on my machine. Melmine is closer to the .005"
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.