Thread: Custom cut file

Default Custom cut file

The first three tools on my ATC are all drill bits. A brad point and two boring bits. Because of the geometry of the tips, I don't get an appropriate measurement when I zero the bits. The bits are zeroed to the very tip and so they never cut as deep as they need to. i.e they need to be zeroed to the "flat" section of the bit.

My workaround for this has been to open the “C:\Sbparts\Custom\ATC_Local_Data\
    ATC_tool_variables.sbc” file and manually change the z value for tools 1 through 3 by 0.125 or 0.0625

For example if, after zeroing, the z value for tool 1 is -3.125 I will manually change it to -3.250 in the file and then save the file, effectively cheating the z value of the drill bit.

It doesn't take very long to do this but it seems like I should be able to write a custom cut file to automate the process. Ideally it would open the ATC_tool_variables.sbc, change the z values where necessary and then save the file.

Is this possible to do? Would it be relatively simple or is it super complicated? I don't have much experience with code. Any help or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/

Keith...
    I did just that for mine. I don't have all the code, but basically you add the option to adjust the tool length during the tool measure file.

Abbreviated block code:

MSGBOX "adjust length?"
    if msganswer is no then skip adjust section
    id msganswer is yes...
    INPUT "How much to adjust?" &z_adjust
    then a line similar to: &Zheight = &zheight + &z_adjust

then continue as normal.

That allows you to enter an adjustment each time you need to

disclaimer: these may or may not be the correct variables or commands, as they are from my foggy memory
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Lol. Thanks, Gary! I followed you right up to Keith . . .

Good to know that it is doable. I will start studying the ShopBot Command Reference manual and see if I can get it figured out.

I use the attached file to zero all the tools. It allows me to zero them all without any input like "check clip is on bit shank". I use a pressure plate to zero. I assume that the block of code you are talking about would go in this file? Would I insert it after:

If &Tool = 1 Then &Tool1_Z = &zHeight

and then again after:

If &Tool = 2 Then &Tool2_Z = &zHeight

etc.

I appreciate your advice. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    Aspire 8.5

I just adjust the depth of the cut by adding the appropriate difference. If you already know the bit is a a drill bit and what the difference is for each bit you can add that to the cut depth.

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Keith:
    You can also set the depth in your design file for the bit to drill a little deeper!

Keith...
    Sorry... hard to recite a Greek poem without speaking Greek

In your case, if your bits stay in the same position, add your adjustments to that file as needed.

Example for drill in Tool1 position: If &Tool = 1 Then &Tool1_Z = &zHeight +0.080

Just remember that amount will be added to that bit EVERY time

Repeat for each tool number you need to adjust
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by barrowj View Post
    I just adjust the depth of the cut by adding the appropriate difference. If you already know the bit is a a drill bit and what the difference is for each bit you can add that to the cut depth.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    Keith:
    You can also set the depth in your design file for the bit to drill a little deeper!
    Yes. I thought of that. But then I would have to make multiple adjustments and I'd be sure to forget some of them. I've been trying to just make the one time adjustment at the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Keith...
    Sorry... hard to recite a Greek poem without speaking Greek
    No problem Gary. I'm at fault for my poor understanding on the coding. I realize the more I study it and the deeper my understanding, the more useful the CNC will be. However, part of me wishes it was like my table saw where I just flip a switch and start making sawdust

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    In your case, if your bits stay in the same position, add your adjustments to that file as needed.

Example for drill in Tool1 position: If &Tool = 1 Then &Tool1_Z = &zHeight +0.080

Just remember that amount will be added to that bit EVERY time

Repeat for each tool number you need to adjust
    Yes! That's simple enough even I can handle it!

I took my custom file Z_all_tools and saved it as a different custom file number with the description Z_all_tools_with_adjustments. That way on the rare occasion that I have a different bit in one of those three tool holders I can just run the original file. I ran a couple tests and the modification works perfect. I did have to change the plus to a minus though.

Thanks again!!
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    Aspire 8.5

Not exactly sure how you would do it, but when you do a C2 using your metal plate it automatically adds in the thickness of your plate when calculating the surface.?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson