Thread: New Owner

Default New Owner

Hi Guys
    I just purchased A new 60 x 120 alpha and I am looking for some advice. I have some 3/4 phenolic and would like some opinions on plenums. I would also like to drop electric from the ceiling and want opinions on the best location. Any advice will be deeply appreciated

Thanks Tom

Hello Tom and welcome

The plenum will depend on what you are planning to cut, I have a 4 x 8 and created 5 zones 3 on one half and 2 on the other half and that seems to work good for me. I cut some solid wood stuff and cabinets from full sheets of plywood.
    The best location for power would be the back side closer to the end where you will operate from.

Tim
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Thanks Tim

I would agree 100% on the electric. When it comes to the table, I am contemplating using two sheets of 3/4 phenolic instead of the plywood and mdf. I realize phenolic is expensive, but I have 6 5x12 sheets
    that I salvaged from a yard dumpster. This will add about 600 lbs. to the machine. The benefits should be, less vacuum leakage, less susceptible to humidity, flatter table, less vibration etc.

Tom

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Give a lot of thought to how you will use your table. Usually dust collection comes from above having electric lines in the way of the machine moving could cause problems. I have a table that is 75" x 125" I have a vacuum area that measures 54" x 96" then there is an area surrounding the vacuum zone on 2 sides that has a clamping extrusion. This was best for me but your needs are probably much different give it a lot of thought. My vacuum area has 5 zones designed around products I make. I have on zone that is 6" x 96" for holding a long board. I have 2 zones that are 24" x 12". The clamping extrusion works well and allows fixtures to be easily clamped down vises and fixtures. I have a dedicated set of clamping fixtures that sit along my long axis that allows me to clamp a rail system that I sell for drilling lengths of rail up to 125" long. This is my second router table so I learned exactly what I wanted after the first table.

I remember when I ordered my first table I could see not reason to ever own a table bigger than 48" x 96" and that is what I ordered then but after using it a while I could see the value in having a bigger table you did good by getting the large table the first time that was a good decision.

I did bring in electric from the ceiling on my current table at the far end and used steel rack to run conduit on it also holds the vacuum duct and supports the dust collection and air lines. On my table I have a tool changer across that end so it is not open to load material so it was a good spot.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

What do you plan to use it for? What do you plan to cut? How do you think you're going to load it? Are you using vaccum or screw down holddowns?

The best place for anything is out of the way. Just make sure your drop is close enough to hook everything up and far enough away from your dust collector hose and YZ car and motors.

Congrats on the new machine. Have fun.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

Quote Originally Posted by tomkk View Post
    Thanks Tim

I would agree 100% on the electric. When it comes to the table, I am contemplating using two sheets of 3/4 phenolic instead of the plywood and mdf. I realize phenolic is expensive, but I have 6 5x12 sheets
    that I salvaged from a yard dumpster
    . This will add about 600 lbs. to the machine. The benefits should be, less vacuum leakage, less susceptible to humidity, flatter table, less vibration etc.

Tom
    Be careful!! I purchased 2 sheets of phenolic that they use to form up concrete and when I cut the vacuum channels there was rocks and cement in it - I had to use plywood and purchase another bit

Tim
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

I will be using it primarily for cabinet work in the beginning. I have not decided yet what I will use for vacuum. The phenolic I have is Formica brand that came from a large cabinet shop nearby.