Thread: Maintenance Video?

Default Maintenance Video?

I have the maintenance docs from
    http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotD...ceSchedule.pdf
    but was wondering if there is a video that covers the finer points? I've looked but maybe looking in the wrong palce or searching for the wrong thing.

Walt,
    The only thing I know for Desktops would be the pertinent parts of this vid by TJ;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWwT...xh7Sf2&index=3
    Not a lot to do on a Desktop besides oil rails weekly and run through all axiis so felt wipers saturate and spread it, and then wipe excess off.
    Clean collets/nuts/spindle cone at least weekly to check for residues.
    Lots of little stuff like blowing keyboards/connections/computer out, and paying attention to anything acting out of the ordinary, and checking all nuts and bolts periodically.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks Scott. I was wondering yesterday when cleaning what type of light grease or maching oil people use? I was also wondering how you get it to stay on the bottom portion of the V rails? I've been using 3 in 1 oil so far but not sure that's what it really calls for and it certainly doesn't want to "stick" to the bottom part of the rails. Maybe a light grease would be better?

Walt,
    I use sewing machine oil, but used 3-1 for a while with no ill effects.
    I move to 12,9 and as low as spindle will go, and just put 3 drops on each side of gantry rail, and then go from 0,0 to 24,18 several times, and then min/max Z a few times.
    By that time the felt wipers are saturated, and wiping off excess with cloth or Kleenex("feels like cloth" will saturate a small section of rag, and I swipe the underside of rails.
    Grease would be a bad idea I think, as it would gunk up the wiping felt with greasy "Fines" and attract airborne dust( up to 70% silica).
    The idea is to provide just enough of a light oil film to prevent corrosion...the bearing are self lubricating supposedly and the felt just keeps them clean.
    I do mine once a week on a 40 hour week, and not particularly precise on oil so that some gets on the side and bottom of rail.
    On Z, I use a toothbrush with a paper towel wrapped on end for excess, and wipe all excess from the very bottom of Z-rail as that's where it winds up with sawdust if you're not careful.
    scott
    Oh, some use wd-40 and a scotchbrite pad, but I've fallen out of love with wd because of the cast iron in my garage(oil or wax works better)(Boeshield for long term storage), and just a dight nervous of the corundum(?) particles in Scotchbrite getting into my bearings.
    scott P.
    Maine

Thanks Scott. Ordered some light sewing machine oil. My 3 in 1 is getting old and don't know what kind of shelve life it has. Figured out Q tips work well for the underside of the rails and the Z rails.

Q-Tips are also good with denatured to clean spindle cone/threads, and the collet nut threads, after paper towels/cloth once a week.
    When applying oil to Z rail, leaving a doubled up paper towel under the Z-rail will keep oil from getting on spoilboard, and give a clean oiled cloth for any other surfaces in shop
    I use BladeCote to brass brush my bits after every use while I inspect them, always a little excess on my fingers for when I handle collet and nut to prevent corrosion.
    When I get rushed, it's nice to know any bit/collet I grab will be clean and unchipped
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine