Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How might I change the position of a piece from a G-code file in SB3?

Default How might I change the position of a piece from a G-code file in SB3?

I have only, so far, used Aspire to generate ShopBot files for my Desktop MAX, which I am really enjoying.

When I previewed, in SB3 a file to cut that is a .tap G-code file generated from a different software, the piece is off of SB3's Material Board because the zero point was in the middle of the part.

How can I 'move' the part to somewhere on the Material Board so I can cut the part? I tried looking at the SB3 manual, but I'm afraid much of it was over my head as I don't know coding.

Thank you for any help.
    ShopBot Desktop MAX, spindle, 3" Indexer, Aspire 9.5, and a big learning curve...

You can move your spindle to the center of the board and press z2. This now designates the center of your field to match your file.

The other thing to make sure of is whether your design is set up for z zero at the table or on top of the part and zeroing your bit before cutting accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    You can move your spindle to the center of the board and press z2. This now designates the center of your field to match your file.
    I think I understand. The .tap file is a small part, a rectangle 2x6 inches (for practice). So say I will

1) Open SB3 and direct/physically move the spindle to x=6, y=6

2) Open the command console and hit/enter Z2

3) go back to SB3 Easy for my comfort level for now and edit the Material Size to a visual 12x12 inches

4)Preview the part.... Will SB3 now show the entire part on the board? i.e., since the zero of the 2x6 piece is in the middle of the piece, will the preview will show one corner of the piece on the Material at x,3 y,5 and the other three corners of the rectangle accordingly?

5) If so, when I am done cutting and wish to return to the current Table Base coordinates of 0,0,0,0, do I just go back to the command console and enter ST or choose ST under the Settings tab? I tried reading the manual again after your helpful comment.

Thank you so much.
    ShopBot Desktop MAX, spindle, 3" Indexer, Aspire 9.5, and a big learning curve...

The important part of cutting on your machine is that you don't ask the router to go where it can't, like off the end of the rails. You must be accurate with your material size in the drawing and where you want to start cutting. That is, length x width x depth and which corner or the center and weather top or bottom of the material you want to start cutting. Then you must be consistent when you go to machine the part. The material is always a rectangle and the sides must be in line with the x and y axis of the machine. Place your material where you want it, if it is a small piece like you say, I would put it near the middle of my machine, a Buddy. Then bring your router over, place the cutter over your zero x and y and zero the x and y on the control panel (z2) then zero the z axis and let it go. I am not sure about table base coordinates and dedicated zero x and y locations. I treat each job as a stand alone deal and set my x and y and z zero's by using the arrow keys and the zero plate. I'm not sure, but I am under the impression that when you zero the x and y by some "C" program and limit switches, you are hoping all this will work before you run into a physical stop. It's kind of like using a bridge abutment to test out your brakes. An absolutely perfect x and y zero location to start cutting a smaller design out of a larger piece of material is just not necessary, you will always have some waste and weather your cutout is perfectly centered in the material won't matter. I hope my ramblings may be of some help....joe

Thank you Joe,

I'm going to the shop shortly to try all this out for real since your reply adds confidence I am on the right track starting with Bleeth's help. Still open to any comments on the [ST] command. I'm thinking my table base coordinates were set up when I newly ran all the 'setup' files when I first got the machine. I want to be confident that if/when I use the ST command, I will go back to the home of 0,0 since that is where I currently start for most things.

10-4, hope all works well for you...joe

If your C3 homing routine offsets from the prox switches to the table 0,0 has been set up properly, after you do a C3, your table base coordinates are set. At anytime after that, if you do a Z2 to change your working coordinates, you can do a ST to return to the table base coordinates.
    Scott

Thanks Scott,

Off to warm up the spindle!

It worked, and I like the Z2 command. The preview in SB3 still has the 'original' Material board, but the Z2 makes a second board in a different color show up that overlays it... Not easy to see at first. Thanks to everyone for your help.