Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IKEA cubicle door hack, 3D oval dragon in leopardwood

Default IKEA cubicle door hack, 3D oval dragon in leopardwood

My first 3D project, making an IKEA cubicle door (13x13 inches) inset for a family member who loves dragons. The cheap IKEA door had minor chipping from the profiling operation, so I made the inset a bit larger and then rabbeted (on my router table) the underside so it would 'overhang' the chipping/cover it up.

Done in an ~ 8 inch wide leopardwood board (I thought the spots had a reptile look) 0.87 thick

Finished with polywipe and paste wax with all the attendant brushing/buffings

Almost a shame to put exotic wood in the IKEA osb door, but the door is 'turnkey' for his cubicle system, and I'm still a beginner in woodworking (1 year) and CNC (a few months). Even solving all the problems was fun, pia moments notwithstanding.

The photo was taken in sunlight, hence the shadow cast from 9 o'clock to 2 o'clock onto the IKEA door
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ShopBot Desktop MAX, spindle, 3" Indexer, Aspire 9.5, and a big learning curve...

looks great!
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Thank you!
    ShopBot Desktop MAX, spindle, 3" Indexer, Aspire 9.5, and a big learning curve...

Looks good!! It's no longer a cheap IKEA door.

Excellent job.....
    "Even solving all the problems was fun, pia moments notwithstanding."

THAT ​is how you learn..."experience is the best teacher" good luck!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Very nicely done. I love dragons too!

The cheap IKEA door had minor chipping from the profiling operation As a sidebar on a job last summer I was having chip out issues doing inserts and with a tip from here I got it done. What I did was take a utility knife and score the outline of the area to be recessed. Pretty old school but it works for me. I tried doing it on the machine and well . . Back to the utility knife! Anyhow love dem' dragons! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Thank you Dave, Jack, and Russ

Yes, no longer cheap, heh heh, leopardwood was ~ 15/bf. In my recent visit to the candy store (a major lumber store in Seattle), all the leopardwood boards were only 4-6 inches wide and I had bought this 8 inch wide board on a prior visit. So now if I visit it and see a special wide board, I'll make that my 'special buy' cuz it likely won't be there next time, at least that's how I rationalized my purchase of a 14 inch wide padauk board for some future use. Plus I currently save almost all scraps, cuz I see pen blanks in them And plus, like the MasterCard ads, the recipient response and happiness is priceless

Thanks for the utility knife tip. I did recently get a plotter pen and think it would be well used here to trace the outline, and then follow with the utility knife without removing the piece from the CNC bed (so I don't risk losing registration) Great tip!

I don't have a plotter pen setup but I did try and use my brad point bit once and that seemed to work OK but it worked better to just mark the corners by just touching the substrate. When I tried routing with it, it too still had some chip out. Russ

Attached Images Attached Images
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Looks great Carolina
    (Russ, chipout even with a downcut?)
    Keep up the good work Carolina!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Looks really really nice. Did you go with or cross the grain when carving? How bad were the "fuzzies" after carving? I love leopardwood.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!