Thread: Machine Lost X, Y and Z settings Overnight

Hybrid View

Default Machine Lost X, Y and Z settings Overnight

So this never happened before. I had turned on and warmed up my machine. When I went to move it to the material to Z zero it, I noticed all my numbers where off. I normally have it go to 12, 10 when it's done cutting so it's easy to change the bit and usually clear of most material. When I started moving it from there with the keypad I noticed it was reading something strange, like -17, -14 or something like that. I don't remember the exact numbers but they sure were wrong, as well as the Z number. So I stopped and re zeroed it all. I had shut down everything in my usual order the day before. We didn't have a powere failure to my knowledge becasue one computer I leave on all the time was still on. Anyone else have this happen? It's the first really weird thing it has done since I've had it.

Some possibilities could be... A Z2 on purpose somewhere, a Z2 when you meant to do a C2, a Z3 instead of a C3 and so on. A possible loss of connection at a point where the position didn't get matched between the control box and software. I have also seen where the previewer was used and then going from that right into cutting a file has given the wrong location. That was addressed some time ago though, so unless you are running an older version, that shouldn't happen.

What is your shutdown routine? Always close the software first, not the control box.
    Scott

Thanks. Can't say it was anything you posted. Running the latest version of everything. Everything was fine the day I shut it down after cutting a file. Shut down control software, shut down computer, shut down control box. Same way I always do it. Only thing about anything that was different than normal is I had plugged a space heater into the same surge protector outlet the machine was plugged into for a few hours, but the machine was OFF the entire time the heater was plugged in. I unplugged the heater before I turned the machine on. I normally try to keep everything else on a seperate circuit, but being it was freezing I needed an extra heater to warm things up before I could work.

I don't think it's a matter of settings being lost during the night. My theory is that when you shut SB control down at the end of the day, it will not properly write values to configuration files it uses next time it starts up.

This has happened to me several times. I'll shut everything down Friday, start it up Monday morning and all my settings are screwed up. I can't verify this but it's the only thing I can thing might be happening. There is NO way settings are being mangled while your computer and controller are turned off.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Thanks, I guess I'll chalk it up to an anomaly or something. Worked fine after I reset everything and the next day came up just fine with all the numbers as they should have been.

The stops that you go to when you do a C3 move have been purposely designed to be accurate and repeatable to about .002".

When you locate your material on the table do it at a cardinal position (ie: x=10 and y=10.) Personally I keep fences at known positions to that I can just plop material down and know where it is.

When you start up in the morning do a C3, Move to whatever your fence positions are and issue a Z2.

Fast and easy. You will save a lot of time and material in short order.