Thread: Universal vac hold down kit

Default Universal vac hold down kit

I purchased a new Desktop Max with the Universal vac hold down kit and I'm not getting any measurable amount of hold down from it. I've checked all my fittings in the vac line and have found no leaks. I've surfaced my spoil board and everything looks good. Anyone else have issues with this system?

What are you trying to hold down?
    If it is smaller than the half the table it probably will not work.
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

As Kyle says.....more info needed....

If the object is smaller than your table area consider masking off the rest with non porous, smooth material.....I use plexiglass, aluminium, etc.

Also my bleeder board is MDF surfaced both sides to allow air through.....if you only surfaced one side that will restrict your flow.....

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Yes I'm trying to hold down smaller material while I run through some of the tutorial training videos. The ideas I have for my own projects will be projects that will take up less than 1/2 of my work surface unless I start cutting multiple items out of larger material when some of the projects turn into more of a production item, then I will cut multiples out of full size material.

My mdf bleeder board/spoil board I am using is the one supplied by Shopbot with my new machine and vac system. I'm not sure if Shopbot surfaces both sides before assembly. I purchased the cube vac universal hold down so I'm assuming this system has less vacuum vs. a typical vacuum pump system?

To move ahead on learning Aspire and my equipment I've had to use screws to hold my material. Will this have any adverse effect on the vac hold down system with screw holes in the spoil board?

Some other things to look at.... is the plenum sealed well on all sides with some kind of sealer, is the top of it then surfaced and the spoilboard then glued on top of that, are the edges of the spoilboard sealed as well, the spoilboard itself should have been skimmed on each side, are all connections sealed and not leaking? If using only part of the spoilboard, cover the unused areas with scrap or plastic sheeting to limit leakage. Is the part you're holding down porous, like red oak? It will be tough to hold small parts without something extra aiding sideways holding strength.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    Some other things to look at.... is the plenum sealed well on all sides with some kind of sealer, is the top of it then surfaced and the spoilboard then glued on top of that, are the edges of the spoilboard sealed as well, the spoilboard itself should have been skimmed on each side, are all connections sealed and not leaking? If using only part of the spoilboard, cover the unused areas with scrap or plastic sheeting to limit leakage. Is the part you're holding down porous, like red oak? It will be tough to hold small parts without something extra aiding sideways holding strength.
    I used my cigar smoke and went through all the joints in lines, edges of plenum and spoil board and didn't see any leaks. I have some plexiglas that I'll use on the unused potion of the spoil board on my next project to see if that helps. I may need to come up with some type of jig for my regular projects.