Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Redwood V Carving Tips

I tried a 90 I have becasue of Joes suggestion. It did cut a lot cleaner. The 90 is the same make and age as the 60 I had used, which may or may not mean anything. So what is it, the angle of the cut that doesn't produce as much tearout? Main problem with this one is I'm matching the font from a business card and a 90 or greater isn't going to get into the fine parts of the letters. I was barely getting there with a 60.
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx
    ScottP Super Deluxe Spoilboard

Walt,

I would encourage you to compare the detail rendered with a 120 degree to a 60 degree bit. The sharpness and detail should be the same but the readability from distance will increase with the flatter angle. I've found the sharpness of these bits to be extremely critical with this kind of carving.

Onsrud offers these bits with a 2" wide diameter. That's so important when working with beautiful wide stroked letters like Caslon Graphic or most any of the Black fonts. The letter quality can also make a difference in the outcome. What you and I have to do is make lots of tests in order to refine our techniques.

Joe Crumley

Joe, I'm not doubting or disagreeing with you. However on this particular plaque, which is only 5.5" x 12" with a very fine and narrow calligraphy type font, a 120 bit is not going to work. Even a 90 bit looks totally wrong. I need to be using a 60 at the most. The 90 did cut nicely, but it won't work for this application. I will try to post some example in a bit.
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx

I use the 37-82 which is the 60* V. Which number are the 90, 100, and 120 degree bits? The listing on the web page shows nothing but 60* bits. http://www.cncrouterbitsxp.com/toolsxp/pc/37-80-c155.htm

I would like to have other choices, but don't seem to find them on the page. I'm hoping that you guys tell me that the 37-87 is 90*, the 37-92 is 100* and the 37-97 is 120*
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

Page 19 has the standard V bits info https://www.onsrud.com/files/pdf/OC-12-ProductionCuttingToolCatalog.pdf
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx

When I discovered, a few years back, the extra machine cut in the tip section of Leitz, Gerber and Onsrud Vbits I haven't used any other cutters. It could be this is standard machining for bit manufacturers today. But this little machining inclusion seems to clean out small detail better. Without that little cut in the tip a V bit operates much like a common flat paddle bit.

Sharpening: I've not been all that sure about having bits re-ground. The "Sharp" life of a bit depends on the substrate one carves. One thing for sure, when I'm carving on wood that's been blasted, the life is short. I have two of these to do in a couple of weeks. It's a yellow pine project I've done before.

Joe
    Last edited by joe; 01-17-2017 at 10:18 AM. Reason: inclusion

Here is the plaque in question in whole. The name was cut with a 1-4 90, the spacing is off because they are spaced to be cut with a 60. The small "Stylist" was cut with an 1-8 60. The small text represents the font on the business card perfectly, the name text looks like an elephant next to a mouse, even if I spaced the letters to be cut with a 90 they are too big and bulky for this font for this purpose. I have ordered an Onsrud 60 conical engraving bit to see if it might help with the tearout.

ns1.jpg
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    When I discovered, a few years back, the extra machine cut in the tip section of Leitz, Gerber and Onsrud Vbits I haven't used any other cutters. It could be this is standard machining for bit manufacturers today. But this little machining inclusion seems to clean out small detail better. Without that little cut in the tip a V bit operates much like a common flat paddle bit.

Joe
    Joe, what do you mean by this?
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx

I'm sure your bits have this little cut in them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmmm, interesting. I've never seen that before in a tip diagram and my 9x magnifier isn't going to get near that close to see that.
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx