Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to support your dc hose

Default how to support your dc hose

hi there
    im running an 8x 4 prs SB . there is a strip of clear plastic supporting the wires and bending as the carrage moves left and right.
    i am going to replace that with energy chain. no problem there .
    the problem is i want to remove that plastic strip becs=ause it hits the cailing and light when its fully bent ( i have it angles towards the front for now).
    how is everybody supporting their hose and still allowing free movement.
    im using a 6" hose too with isnt helping. i have too or the dc will be restricted too much.

thanks alan

005.JPG
    This is what we did.
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

I have a very high ceiling in my shop. I have 4 inch pvc pipe up to and across the ceiling. From there it is 4 inch flex tubing down to the machine. Russ

Attached Images Attached Images
    AKA: Da Train Guy

unfortunitly i only have 8 foot 6 " ceilings.
    thanks russ

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Stapleton View Post
    005.JPG
    This is what we did.
    i was thinkof something similar but was woried about putting extra stress on the cnc.
    aqre you using the hose to pull it around

Yes, the hose is on the CNC and the CNC moves everything.
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

A small cable screwed into the ceiling and then a bungee cord from the cable to the hose. If you need i picture i can post one.

Default Good time to talk grounding...

Long and short of it: If you can put together a nice arm system like Kyle did, it always looks best. Otherwise, a hard line (metal or pvc, your choice) centered above table with a reasonable amount of slack in flex line from hard connection to dust skirt.

While we're at it, let's talk grounding... DO IT RIGHT...DO IT NOW!
    Buy a roll of copper wire - make a pie or web-shaped screen at opening of dust shoe assembly. Drill small holes around perimeter of plastic collar and weave wire about 4 passes, creating a pie cut shape. (Helps catch over-sized debris, such as ply trimmings, a well as creating a discharge web for the chips as they enter the DC system.) Just be certain the ground line in the DC hose stops at the opening of the pickup at the dust shoe. Any connection of it to a metal component of your machine will create a ground loop and a living hell of lost communication problems.

Continue running wire INSIDE the flex hose toward your dust collector. Should be a common grounding point where flex meets solid pipe. If PVC, you might as well run the copper line all the way to the collector on the inside. Or, you may terminate copper line by fastening to hard line at this connection IF collector is well grounded to duct work AND the duct itself is metal.

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jTr View Post
    Long and short of it: If you can put together a nice arm system like Kyle did, it always looks best. Otherwise, a hard line (metal or pvc, your choice) centered above table with a reasonable amount of slack in flex line from hard connection to dust skirt.

While we're at it, let's talk grounding... DO IT RIGHT...DO IT NOW!
    Buy a roll of copper wire - make a pie or web-shaped screen at opening of dust shoe assembly. Drill small holes around perimeter of plastic collar and weave wire about 4 passes, creating a pie cut shape. (Helps catch over-sized debris, such as ply trimmings, a well as creating a discharge web for the chips as they enter the DC system.) Just be certain the ground line in the DC hose stops at the opening of the pickup at the dust shoe. Any connection of it to a metal component of your machine will create a ground loop and a living hell of lost communication problems.

Continue running wire INSIDE the flex hose toward your dust collector. Should be a common grounding point where flex meets solid pipe. If PVC, you might as well run the copper line all the way to the collector on the inside. Or, you may terminate copper line by fastening to hard line at this connection IF collector is well grounded to duct work AND the duct itself is metal.

jeff
    i will probably build an arm.

i have a cyclone seperater so im not to woried about sucking up bits too big. there is a mesh on the inlet to the impeller.
    the dust sho i built is very rough. i built it quickly just to get started. it is plywood with a metal 4" pipe as hose mount.
    if i make sure that the wire of the hose is conected to that metal pipe will it ground it enough. there is metal ducting on the other end of the hose. will i ground that too just to be sure

I got the ball and socket thing along with my dust collection layout from Oneida.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/