Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lets see pictures of your bots!

Default lets see pictures of your bots!

Hey Guys, I have been a shopbotter for going on ten years now. The company I work for had one that was barely being used when I started and they didnt really understand much about it. I took it over and have come a long way thanks to you guys and shopbot tech support. I am getting ready to personally purchase a 5x10 alpha with an indexer that will be the centerpiece of my new business. I am interested in seeing pictures of everyones set up. The rooms they have their Bot in, how they have the electric ran, how the computer is set up (is it in a cabinet or what) or anything else your interested in sharing. Pictures are a great way to help me lay everything out and decide what I like and dont like. Thanks for the help!

Tommy!!!!!
    cadevices@fuse.net
    Creative Assistive Devices, LLC

Cool

Here's a video of my bot, 4x8 PRS "High Voltage".

I've done a bunch of upgrades to it... 8 zone vacuum system, LED warning lights in the gantry, fixed and loose zero plates, and just in the past few weeks I've done huge upgrade to the control system. I've got one of Gary Campbells Rezurection boxes (with some of his special modifications) This machine is incredible now. Check out the video:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dNcnFIbUJHX1p3

If you want detailed shots of the control system check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSR0YYE44jQ

Here is it cutting at 7.5 IPS. I cranked it up to 10 IPS and I was able knock out these butt prints really fast:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...p1DZegdxGaykt1
    Last edited by EricSchimel; 01-23-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Eric,
    Cannot get your last link to work, but do have some questions:
    - What are the benefits of going to belt drive?
    - Is it the control system and belt drives that enable you to scream about the table at that speed?

I run 3-5 IPS most of the time and find any faster you'll compromise quality of cut do to inherent limitations. Are there physical adjustments/additions to your machine's frame?

Thanks,
    jeff

Eric,
    Got the first video to work, but only by hitting back arrow and arriving at a small screen version. Also - is it supposed to be silent? looks like you're gesturing with your hands to explain, but no audio...

Jeff

Hey guys sorry about the bad links, I was trying to get all fancy and it didn't work out so well. Here's the link to the first video:

https://goo.gl/photos/SBgppSLC9yGGSNdK9

And here's the link to the video of me cutting at 7 IPS:

https://goo.gl/photos/fPnJfnER7Z3Jx35x9

And then here's the guts of my control system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSR0YYE44jQ

Jeff that's a great question. So here's the deal with my setup:

My old V4G system worked great. It was very accurate and smooth but the speed was where I was losing time. When I started back up on my production work I figured I'd keep all my speeds and feeds the same (go with what you know) and start bumbping things up slowly. I started out with the jog speed. Before I was jogging at a max of 5 IPS, usually more like 4. I was able to confidently bump that up to 12. As you see the machine can easily (and repeatably) jog at 23, so 12 seemed pretty reasonable. Just that change alone saved a ton of time in my jobs. You don't realize how much time is spent jogging around, at least on some of the work that I do. Drilling is a lot better now too. I an use an upspiral bit and drill really fast in one peck, instead of lightly peck drilling. That saves a lot of time on certain work too.

Those super high jog speeds work on my machine because it's a modern PRS.

Now you make a really good point about sacrificing cut quality by cranking up the speed, and you're totally right. Where I've saved a lot of time is this:

Before I was operating at or near the limits of my motors and control system. This means I was getting into situations where I would lose steps, or sometimes just have to be cautious with a new material or job. Will I ever cut full depth through plywood at 12 IPS? Likely never for a variety of reasons (cut quality, hold down, machine flex, bits snapping, etc) However, I did just cut a job at 6 IPS in plywood (light passes). I worked my way up to that because I know I have the power on tap and I'm not worried about losing any steps.

The butt print job I did with a 3/4" ball nose cutter. I did that in light passes. (.04 stepovers). On my old setup I wouldn't have gone past 3.5 IPS. I was doing those 10 IPS and I probably could have gone faster. THAT saved me a ton of time. I did each butt print in 9 minutes. On my old VG4 it would have taken at least double.

I do foam work to. Foam stuff you can fly through if your machine can handle essenetially air cutting at high speed. Again, before I wouldn't go above 4-5 IPS, with this setup I did some foam tests and I was doing them at 12 IPS.

So, while it's cool to see how fast something will go the main reason I did the upgrade with these massive steppers and drivers was to get reliability. Even if I never bump up any speed or feed I'm using this setup at so under the limit that it's going to be super reliable. My production work has already seen a 30% speed increase. Then when I get weird foam jobs or stuff like the butt prints, instead of being limited by the slower tool motion I can really open it up and take advantage of the speed. All around it's a net gain.

Oh, and lets not forget that it has cool LED lights. Everything should have cool LED lights.

Thanks Eric...
    Now that the new is off and you are not hot rodding it, what are your relaible daily cutting and rapid speeds?
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

IMG_4118.jpg

Got two bots and three computers. PC's are not in any sort of enclosure, have air compressors to clean everything as we go. Electric drops in from the ceiling in the back by the two dust collectors. These are used for strict production work just making playground equipment. We do some sign-like stuff that makes it fun but mostly repetitive work. No vacuum hold down yet due to running out of available electricity....
    2009 BT48 RBK With 10' Powerstick
    2HP HSD Spindle

2012 PRS ALPHA 144"X60"
    Republic Blower Hold Down
    4HP HSD Spindle

VCP 8.014

That a very nice setup. Gary really know his stuff. But I was wondering what did it cost if I may ask?

Shoot me an email and I'll give you the breakdown. What Gary did for me was custom.... Originally when I got in contact with him he thought I had an older PRT. I had only sent him pictures of my V4G system. I have a rare PRS that was an early model that came with the V4G control system, not the RBK system that most have.

What we ended up deciding is that because I had a V4G control system that's eligible for upgrade, but newer metal (PRS) that we could hot rot it. What Gary ended up building was something that has an RBK controller coupled to massive stepper drivers and motors.

Email me and I'll give you the price breakdown, I hesitate to post it here because it's a custom system and not what people who have V4G's on PRTs will actually get. Those folks will spend less than I did because of their machine configuration.

PS here's a cut I did the other day, I'm slowly ramping up the speed: https://goo.gl/photos/7bSHq9cE8YKhtt9B9