Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Issues w/ 3.6.1 - 3.6.5

Default Issues w/ 3.6.1 - 3.6.5

I have been reading several posts concerning issues w/ the newest control software versions, but I have not read anything which describes my situation. This past June I upgraded to 3.6.1. Since that time I have been having an annoying problem with the bot locking up.

At the end of everyday I park the spindle at 96,48. The next day I hit the "jog home" icon (or J2) to drive it back to 0,0. The problem is that 10 or so inches into its path home that bot stops hard and get "Shopbot Paused in Movement or File Action". If I look at the screen the control panel thinks its still moving to its intended destination and doesn't stop until it gets there. So I hit "Quit" on message box, then click on the jog home icon again to get it close to 0,0, then I have to rezero. Once this is done I seem to be good for the rest of the days cutting.

My prox. switches are turned off, no screen savers, the PC is not connected to the net, nor is it used as the main design pc. Nothing else is running. No wiring or physical changes were made after the software upgrade. All the usual questions Frank asks are in line.

One thing I read on the forum caught me eye but I am a little confused about it or if it really pertains to me.

"Shopbot Loosing Comm." Try- grounding wire from the PC chassis to the D-ring on the USB serial connection to the Shopbot Control Broad. This portion is what I don't understand- "D-ring on the USB serial connection to the Shopbot Control Broad"

If anyone has any suggestions to a possible cure I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

John,
    I had strange and wonderful things happen when I went to 3.6.x software. I spoke w/ShopBot and the return to an older ver was in order. I am now running 3.5.18 with no problems.
    Bill

John,

I think I wrote that. Inside your control box, the USB to serial adapter connects to a DB9 serial port on the board itself. Connect a ground wire to the metal part of that DB9 connector and run it back to ground on the computer chassis.

This simple ground was the difference between running and "not" running. I'm not sure that's your problem, but it won't take long to find out and it may just save headaches in the future.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Scott Cox

Scott-

Let me see if I follow you. So where the USB wire goes into the control box it terminates into port which is about .5" x .5" x .5" which is wrapped by a thin metal cover on at least two of its sides. This port is mounted to a small "vertically positioned" board about 2"x3". Are we talking about the same thing? If so what would be the best/easiest way to connect the ground wire to this very small/thin metal cover? In case it matters I'm running a PRS Alpha.

I think your PRS Alpha controller may be different than my PRT Alpha. I'm not sure. But a picture is worth a thousand words, so.....

47180.jpg

Scott-

It looks like I'm using a different port. I do see the port you have though, just unused.

I attached a few photo's of the same area in my box. I assume the same result can be accomplished with the way my USB connects; correct?

http://picasaweb.google.com/JeanChri...rtman/Shopbot#

I just looked and I don't have that type of port on my PRT Alpha. I honestly don't know if this would work the same way, but if you can somehow attach a ground wire to the chassis of that port, it may be worth consideration. I would call ShopBot and ask Frank before I did that, just to be safe.

The new control board has the USB port directly on it. The older style uses the serial port on the breakout board.

So Scott, yours will not have that port.... you didn't miss seeing it!

Bill - When you went back to 3.5.18, did you also have to update the firmware? Any other special procedures for going backwards?

I have seen odd stuff happen ever since changing to 3.6.1. The scariest thing was that I was manually jogging with the keyboard, let off the arrow key, and it kept on going. I had to turn the power off at the control box to stop it.

Brad,
    Yes, same problem(s), and run-away scares me too. No firmware changes, I just did the 3.5.18 install and ran the setup again. 3.5.18 is not as pretty but works for me.