Thread: Honing Guide

Default Honing Guide

I don't use hand planes much nowadays but once a while I need them and then I want it sharp. I have always been struggling to put a reproducible edge on with my "unicycle" clamping style honing guide, especially for the bevel-up type irons.
    So I did a little CNC project today to build a new honing guide with built-in bevel angle gage that can be folded away. It is a bit bulky, using 3/4" BB with phenolic faces but works pretty well. I know I can buy well made honing guides but this was a fun project that did not take long. Still need to replace the hex bolts with thumb screws.

The assembly was designed in IronCAD, part outlines exported as DWG and imported to VcarvePro to generate the tool paths.

Nice little project G.
    Think I'll stick with my 2 part Veritas combo though
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

That is sweet and must be really satisfying to create/make the solution to nagging problems oneself.

Is the bevel angle you want designed in or can you change the angle? I see BB and MDF as go to materials for jigs in general. Is BB hard enough to not ever worry about deforming under pressure where you would want measurement accuracies , such as angles, maintained?
    ShopBot Desktop MAX, spindle, 3" Indexer, Aspire 9.5, and a big learning curve...

That is nice project..... I have something similar for chisels (bought jig) but like yours better for hand planes.
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Looks good Gert. Next a couple of planes ala Steve Knight?
    Do a little forum research and start drooling!