Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indexer B Zero

Default Indexer B Zero

Does anyone have an accurate method of zeroing the Z axis? It usually doesn't matter but sometimes I need to get back to the exact position. I avoid it now and just don't use the SB again or turn it off if I know I am going to need to remachine something.

Wayne...
    Do you have a square face left on the blank? If so, I have used a machinists square from the gantry to one face of the square (and mark which one).

You can also use the same process to a flat surface under the indexer.

This should allow you to get very close. See attached rotary class slides
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Here is a simple jig for getting zero on your indexer. Take a 2x6 piece of wood. Set it on edge of your rails for the indexer. Press it against the tailstock to make an indention in the wood.Draw a line across where the indention is and cut your wood to that height. You now have a surface on which to zero to that is at the center of your indexer Zero.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack brings up a good point, I assumed the OP wanted the B (indexer) itself zeroed. If looking to zero the Z to the indexer axial center, use the method shown in the picture below.

FYI: the syntax for ShopBot would be: VA,,,2.036
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I have a Zero routine which zeroes to the top of the tailstock. I am wanting to make someway to repeatably zero the B axis. I don't always have a square side left and I am not real secure in trusting a square to the piece to accurately locate the zero. As an example, here is a shot of a piece with an inlay on a taper. The inlay had to be done in two separate cuts. One for the blue and the other for the brass after the blue resin was dried and flattened. I did not leave a flat because I squared everything up before turning.

Wayne...
    I have used prox switches on some of my custom rotary's to allow setting a rotary zero. Not that hard to rig up.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein

That's what I'm thinking about Gary. I was thinking about using a solenoid activated actuater which I could activate in the routine and then have a target on the shaft which would swing around and make contact. The zero routine would be like the ZZero routine. Maybe the proximity switches are the way to go.

Gary,
    I have a proximity switch mounted. How can I have the software make the sensor active during a zeroing routine and then turn it off? I know it can be done but it escapes me. I thought about just putting a manual switch and a push in the routine to activate it and deactivate it.

Wayne...
    You can either use a switch on the + side of the prox switch, even put it on an output if you feel a need to turn it off. If you set the B limit input [VN] as a standard switch, you wont need to turn it off as your zero routine uses the state of the switch to stop movement. It will not cause a "limit hit" when set as a standard switch
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein

Thanks Gary. I didn't realize that. I thought that it would stop every time it was triggered. Thanks for lifting out of my ignorant bliss. I was going to start with the X< Y Zero routine and modify the file. Thanks for all of your help. You greatly simplified what I am doing.