Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The CNC Wheelwright

Thanks for ideas and the praise guys

I would be hesitant to make it a static fixture like a flower pot. I spent quite a bit of design effort to make this a functional cart that can actually be used. I suspect, being pine it would not survive long exposed outdoors anyway.

Scott's idea with the tradeshow cart is interesting. So far I have not participated in such shows but may do that later when I retire.

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    .....You going to heat soak wheel axle in molten wax? 50/50 Mineral oil/paraffin "wood butter" would make a good "grease"....
    Have not thought about that yet. I suspect even being "used" I won't make that many miles and if needed the 1" oak dowel that serves as an axle can be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    ...I'm looking at Teak oils now that the one I did the house interior in is discontinued(West Marine)...who's Teak oil did you use, and did you like it? Fumes?....
    I used the Teak Oil (Watco brand) because I ran out of the Danish Oil and the clear stain. But AFAIK Teak Oil is anyway only a marketing name for slightly different formulated Danish Oil. It is however more amber colored which was O.K. for this purpose since the pine will darken yellow/amber anyway in short time.

Actually they hold up pretty good outside. We Made one to use at a show. We gave it to a local Farmers market and they have it out side and has been out side for several years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardt View Post
    Thanks for ideas and the praise guys

I would be hesitant to make it a static fixture like a flower pot. I spent quite a bit of design effort to make this a functional cart that can actually be used. I suspect, being pine it would not survive long exposed outdoors anyway.

Scott's idea with the tradeshow cart is interesting. So far I have not participated in such shows but may do that later when I retire.

Have not thought about that yet. I suspect even being "used" I won't make that many miles and if needed the 1" oak dowel that serves as an axle can be replaced.

I used the Teak Oil (Watco brand) because I ran out of the Danish Oil and the clear stain. But AFAIK Teak Oil is anyway only a marketing name for slightly different formulated Danish Oil. It is however more amber colored which was O.K. for this purpose since the pine will darken yellow/amber anyway in short time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Ah, Watco. Yep, I imagine you're right in that case, But there's a very wide range of other Teak Oils and I was just wondering. Thanks!
    Didn't know the width of the hub, so I was just thinking dipping the ends in like a Mason jar like I do buttons would be easy..as once wood is warm, the excess wax drips off/cleaned with paper towel, and then as wood cools it sucks up all surface wax.
    Probably right on the mileage
    Russ is right that it's a work of art
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I think the other contributors are right! It would be an eye-catcher at a trade show especially if you highlighted the flourishes with different colour paints.

Very nice project! The wheels are outstanding!

J

Final update...project completed.

Rear view with legs down:

Legs up:

Standing upright:

Purty!!
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

The design and the finished product is beautiful! Well done!

Excellent result!! Who did the Tole Painting? Great work on that, too! Chisel brush?
    ══════════════════════════════════
    Michael Tyler
    http://www.carvebuddy.com
    https://www.facebook.com/carvebuddy/

- ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha BT48 CNC
    - CarveWright CNC
    - Vectric Aspire, VCarve Pro, ArtCAM Pro, CorelDRAW

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    ......Who did the Tole Painting? Great work on that, too! Chisel brush?
    Well, kind of 90-degree v-bit brush. It is not really tole painting. I just colored the vcarve recesses with acrylic paint like a coloring book and then sanded down the mess I made overpainting the edges. For a while I feared I screwed it all up because the sanding dust of the excess paint mixed with some of the oil finish to an ugly smear. But continued ROS sanding with a coarse and then a fine pad cleaned it all up. After that I reapplied the oil finish to the exposed fresh wood.

Very nice project.