Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The CNC Wheelwright

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    ...but handle looks to short? Knee bumper/shin kicker walking forwards, and Achilles destroyer with cart behind you?......
    Good point. I am hesitant making the thing too bulky, given my limited storage. But you are right with the short handle it may be less practical.
    Maybe I go for the following design as a compromise. Can be adjusted for tall or short people or folded away for storage:

TallHandle.jpg
    ShortHandle.jpg
    Folded.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardt View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I got the tires on and it was kind of a moderate struggle. Valve stems have extenders. But I learned that even plastic tire "irons" are a bit hard for a pine rim. And I learned that 40 psi is a little too much and will require some wood glue...

Anyway, I have it pumped to 20 psi now and the rim holds up. But it is a bit soft and I will probably replace it with solid rubber tires.

I worked on the design of the cart itself. I should go together without screws or glue and boards just lock with 4 dowel rods. It will probably look something like this:

when you put on solid wheels run your bath tub full of hot water and soak the tires. it make it easier to put on. Also if you take the spokes out of a rim, and your wheel is just slightly larger You can heat the metal rim in a large commercial oven and it will just barely go on with a rubber hammer. After you have it on and Straight, you can take some flat head screws and screw it to the wheel. Be sure to put a tube guard on the rim before putting on the tire and tube. Very nice job.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Good trick with the water as hot as you can stand it...used that a few times,and works great on some solids.

G.,
    What's the geometry like when you tip it forward on end(as if you were dumping stuff or shoveling mulch out)?
    Would it be beyond the tipping point, so you could store it up on end?
    I'm glad it's not me doing it....I'd worry the design to death and never get it built
    Always like seeing your stuff!
    Does your brain have an off switch?
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

....What's the geometry like when you tip it forward on end(as if you were dumping stuff or shoveling mulch out)?
    Would it be beyond the tipping point, so you could store it up on end?....
    Scott, good question. According to the CAD it would stand on its end. The COG (indicated by the small cross-hair) is beyond the wheel point of contact. But I will probably keep the folding handle bar anyway. I think it is a nice feature.
    ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 30 20.50.jpg

One thing that came to mind was filling the tubes (mostly) with water like what people do for tractor tires. It would make the cart 2 or 3 pounds heavier but may reduce the pressure requirements for a stiff tire.

...Does your brain have an off switch?...
    Not really. I invent and develop things for a living (not wood stuff but industrial instrumentation like flow meters) and when I get home I just keep going with the fun projects. Sometimes I wake up at night thinking about a new idea. I guess it is kind of a curse but a kind of enjoyable one.
    Last edited by Burkhardt; 01-31-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Some good progress over the weekend...I cut all the main parts for the cart, finished with teak oil and assembled. Everything fit together well, which is kind of surprising since I had to cut the six lengthwise boards in 2 parts with index dowels (47" boards on a 34" machine). The wooden axle washers and clevis pins are still missing as is all the handle and rear foot parts.

But everything is held together with mortise and tenons. No screws, nails or other metal parts and no glue except for the wheels.

I see a usability problem, though. My wife said I made it too pretty for real garden use. Maybe it becomes the cooler stand for patio parties. Would be kind of a shame.

Partially assembled.

Complete cart box, locking dowels still missing:

Another view:

Scott, it does stand on its end:

Golly G. Wiz(ard)
    More intelligent questions once caffeine hits
    Flower flourish excellent!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

"My wife said I made it too pretty for real garden use" She's right!

Maybe put a tabletop on top with a hole in the center where you can stick a patio umbrella in the center....
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    "My wife said I made it too pretty for real garden use" She's right!

Maybe put a tabletop on top with a hole in the center where you can stick a patio umbrella in the center....
    Agreed, I'd Line the inside and use it as a flower pot.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Well I'd really like to reply to this thread but I'm speechless! My goodness what a work of art. Without hurting yourself, please pat yourself on the back, well done! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

It would be a definite "Eyecatcher" at any trade/craft show, and a good way to bring your displays in(and easy to make it a display stand as well)
    You going to heat soak wheel axle in molten wax? 50/50 Mineral oil/paraffin "wood butter" would make a good "grease".
    I'm looking at Teak oils now that the one I did the house interior in is discontinued(West Marine)...who's Teak oil did you use, and did you like it? Fumes?

Funny...I was thinking that with a Marine battery and car stereo components(Fosgate of course) it would be a great audiophiles mobile music center for shop or garden
    Anachronistic as all get out, especially if solar trickle charger was added
    Wonder what shape speaker cabinets you'd make I know...Off the Wall!
    It will get comments no matter what you use it for!
    Great work Gert!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine