Thread: 2017 Austin User Group - CNC Symposium

Default 2017 Austin User Group - CNC Symposium

2017 Austin Shopbot User's Group - CNC Symposium

This year the Austin Shopbot User's Group - CNC Symposium will be held at my Shop on Friday, March 3, from 10am to 5pm and Saturday, March 4, from 9am to 5pm. This year the event will have only partial sponsorship from Shopbot which will necessitate a registration fee of $50. The symposium will follow the mode of previous years with presentations, demonstrations, show and tell, and plenty of networking and sharing. Mornings will feature coffee and donuts and lunch will be provided, sandwiches on Friday and fajitas on Saturday.

The focus will be on Shopbot machines and Vectric software since most of the participants will be Shopbot owners but user's of other machines and software are more than welcome and are encouraged to attend. The participants include professionals and hobbyists and the skill and experience level ranges from long time cnc users to beginners to those just considering cnc. The different industries and crafts represented is always interesting but everyone is united in learning and sharing cnc skills.

Bill Young from Shopbot will be in attendance. Bill is incredibly creative and inventive and has a wealth of knowledge to offer. At this point some of the presenters will be David Lemke, Steve Glassel, Brett Dickinson and myself. Others are being pursued and will be added. There will be presentations on making large projects utilizing the accuracy of cnc, cnc in education, use of the indexer for rotary and four sided machining, designing and cutting scooped and carved chair seats, 3d carving and more. Please contact me if you have some experience, knowledge or skill which you would like to present on. Likewise if there is an area or topic you would like a presentation on, please contact me. Consider this shameless groveling for presenters and topics. Please respond with any ideas you have.

The location of my shop is in Southwest Austin at 9000 Feather Hill Rd.,
    Austin, TX 78737. It is easily found on Goggle Maps, Mapquest, gps, etc.

Registration is by email to wayne@lockedesign.net. Payment is by Paypal to the above email address or by check. I can waive or lower the registration fee for a few struggling students or others. Please email with your request.

To all:
    If you haven’t rsvped and sent your $50 registration fee for the March 3 & 4 conference, please do so as soon a possible. You can make payment by check or through PayPal (wayne@lockedesign.net).

Steve Glassell will be doing a presentation on designing a carved chair seat in VCarve Pro using the Moulding Toolpath Tool. I will do a presentation on designing and toolpathing a similar seat in Aspire with the Two Rail Sweep. Both will also include discussions on cutting strategies.

Steve will also do a presentation on a chair he has designed and cuts entirely on the cnc. Below is his description of his presentations.

Gary Weeks, a long time maker of Rocking Chairs, Chairs and other furniture is about to pull the trigger on a Shopbot and will do a presentation on his furniture with the goal of inspiring a discussion on how CNC could aid in the fabrication of his work. It should be interesting.

Please pass along any ideas or requests you have for presentations.

Sincerely,
    Wayne Locke
    Attached Images Attached Images

As part of the festivities I'll show some of the unusual digitally fabricated structures I've worked on over the years, and hopefully talk a little about my visits to a couple of shops on my way to Austin. http://www.shopbotblog.com/2017/02/b...ning-underway/

Here’s some spalted Pecan boxes I inlayed with crushed turquoise, a technique I learned from Wayne’s presentation at last year’s camp… There’s something for everyone! I’m looking forward to this year’s camp!

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images