Thread: 2017 Austin User Group - CNC Symposium

Default 2017 Austin User Group - CNC Symposium

2017 Austin Shopbot User's Group - CNC Symposium

This year the Austin Shopbot User's Group - CNC Symposium will be held at my Shop on Friday, March 3, from 10am to 5pm and Saturday, March 4, from 9am to 5pm. This year the event will have only partial sponsorship from Shopbot which will necessitate a registration fee of $50. The symposium will follow the mode of previous years with presentations, demonstrations, show and tell, and plenty of networking and sharing. Mornings will feature coffee and donuts and lunch will be provided, sandwiches on Friday and fajitas on Saturday.

The focus will be on Shopbot machines and Vectric software since most of the participants will be Shopbot owners but user's of other machines and software are more than welcome and are encouraged to attend. The participants include professionals and hobbyists and the skill and experience level ranges from long time cnc users to beginners to those just considering cnc. The different industries and crafts represented is always interesting but everyone is united in learning and sharing cnc skills.

Bill Young from Shopbot will be in attendance. Bill is incredibly creative and inventive and has a wealth of knowledge to offer. At this point some of the presenters will be David Lemke, Steve Glassel, Brett Dickinson and myself. Others are being pursued and will be added. There will be presentations on making large projects utilizing the accuracy of cnc, cnc in education, use of the indexer for rotary and four sided machining, designing and cutting scooped and carved chair seats, 3d carving and more. Please contact me if you have some experience, knowledge or skill which you would like to present on. Likewise if there is an area or topic you would like a presentation on, please contact me. Consider this shameless groveling for presenters and topics. Please respond with any ideas you have.

The location of my shop is in Southwest Austin at 9000 Feather Hill Rd.,
    Austin, TX 78737. It is easily found on Goggle Maps, Mapquest, gps, etc.

Registration is by email to wayne@lockedesign.net. Payment is by Paypal to the above email address or by check. I can waive or lower the registration fee for a few struggling students or others. Please email with your request.

To all:
    If you haven’t rsvped and sent your $50 registration fee for the March 3 & 4 conference, please do so as soon a possible. You can make payment by check or through PayPal (wayne@lockedesign.net).

Steve Glassell will be doing a presentation on designing a carved chair seat in VCarve Pro using the Moulding Toolpath Tool. I will do a presentation on designing and toolpathing a similar seat in Aspire with the Two Rail Sweep. Both will also include discussions on cutting strategies.

Steve will also do a presentation on a chair he has designed and cuts entirely on the cnc. Below is his description of his presentations.

Gary Weeks, a long time maker of Rocking Chairs, Chairs and other furniture is about to pull the trigger on a Shopbot and will do a presentation on his furniture with the goal of inspiring a discussion on how CNC could aid in the fabrication of his work. It should be interesting.

Please pass along any ideas or requests you have for presentations.

Sincerely,
    Wayne Locke
    Attached Images Attached Images

As part of the festivities I'll show some of the unusual digitally fabricated structures I've worked on over the years, and hopefully talk a little about my visits to a couple of shops on my way to Austin. http://www.shopbotblog.com/2017/02/b...ning-underway/

Here’s some spalted Pecan boxes I inlayed with crushed turquoise, a technique I learned from Wayne’s presentation at last year’s camp… There’s something for everyone! I’m looking forward to this year’s camp!

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Symposium/Shopbot Users Group is only a week and half away, March 3 & 4. Here is a list of presenters and hotels nearby. I am still searching for more presenters and presentations so let me know of any ideas you have.

If you haven't let me know you are coming and/or haven't paid your registration fee please do so with PayPal to wayne@lockedesign.net.
    The Symposium/Shopbot Users Group is only a week and half away, March 3 & 4. Here is a list of presenters and hotels nearby. I am still searching for more presenters and presentations so let me know of any ideas you have.

If you haven't let me know you are coming and/or haven't paid your registration fee please do so with PayPal to wayne@lockedesign.net.
    2017 CNC Symposium
    Shopbot Users Group Presentations

Brett Dickinson has been a long time educator who has extensive experience utilizing the cnc in the classroom. He will do a presentation on using the Shopbot in the classroom.
    Steve Glassel of SG MFG / Treasures form Trees is a long time woodworker with extensive cnc experience. His first presentation will be on a chair which he designed to be cut entirely on a cnc and includes locking joints. His second presentation will cover designing a scooped chair seat in V Carve Pro using the molding toopath.
    David Haas is a talented and prolific designer and cnc operator who does some very interesting 3d projects. He will be presenting some of his latest works.

Jad Jadeja a Programming and Robotics teacher with the DrippingSprings ISD will do a presentation with several students on using theindexer to do four sided machining.

Santiago Laverde has extensive cnc and design experience and will be presenting some recent projects with an emphasis on some of the jigs he
    David Lemke is a boat builder from Victoria, TX who will do a presentation of a large boat project with an emphasis on constructing projects much larger than the capacity of the cnc machine by utilizing the inherent accuracy of the machine.
    Will Leonard is the head of the sets department at the Alley Theater in Houston and will be presenting some new and creative projects. Being sets and props his work tends to be a bit different, very creative, innovative, and interesting.
    Wayne Locke is a long time furniture designer and builder. He will do a presentation on the setting up, designing for and using the Indexer. He will also do a companion presentation to Steve Glassel’s Scooped Seat designing but using Aspire.
    Ken Picou is a long time woodworker who has gained a fair amount of renown in the Luthier community for some of the specialized tools hemanufactures and sales. He will present and explain one of these tools, a small router table, he manufactures with a Shopbot.
    Bill Young with Shopbot will do a presentation on some of his recent and innovative projects. Bill is a long time Shopbotter who really pushes the boundaries.

Nearby Hotels
    Hampton Inn Austin/Oak Hill
    6401 US-290, Austin, TX 78735 (512) 891-7474

Holiday Inn Express & Suite
    4892 W US Hwy 290 Service Rd, Sunset Valley, TX 78735 (512) 891-9500

La Quinta Inn & Suites Austin Southwest at Mopac
    4424 S MoPac Expy, Austin, TX 78735 (512) 899-3000

Heart of Texas Motel
    5303 W US Hwy 290 Service Rd, Austin, TX 78735 (512) 892-0644

Residence Inn Austin Southwest
    6000 W Hwy 290, Austin, TX 78735 (512) 892-0577

Sleep Inn & Suites
    2720 East US Hwy. 290, Dripping Springs, TX 78620 (512) 858-2400
    Copyright © 2017 Locke Design & Woodworks, All rights reserved.
    You have previously attended or expressed interest in this event.

Our mailing address is:
    Locke Design & Woodworks9000 Feather Hill Rd.
    Austin, TX 78737

Thank you, Wayne, for a great CNC symposium this year. I was really glad to see some young people getting involved in the "Bots" use. The only suggestion that I would make is that there would be a better flow of presenters so that maybe the symposium could be closed out earlier on Saturday. Yes, it is great that we all have some socializing time with other botters, and I know everyone enjoys that time. I had a great time and really enjoyed visiting others, especially some new people. Than you for the great job you do in organizing this event.

I’ve sent out the files promised to all who emailed me… if you didn’t get yours, possibly you had my email wrong…

steve.glassel@sgmfg.com

Thanks!
    SG

I hope someone will post some pics. This is only the 2nd one I missed. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dmidkiff View Post
    I hope someone will post some pics. This is only the 2nd one I missed. Thanks
    Thanks so much to Wayne for a great event!

I took a bunch of pictures and will post them on the ShopBot blog when there's a lull in the SxSW events!

Thanks Bill.