Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone on here own their own sawmill?

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Default Anyone on here own their own sawmill?

I am considering buying a sawmill for some projects on my small ranch and I have been wanting to get into custom carved wood signs. I would like to be able to make my own slabs for signs. I am looking at buying a manual band saw mill. Prices are all over the place for these things the ones I am looking at run between $5K and $10K. I am not sure how good a mill I need to produce some nice slabs. I am not looking for production turning out a lot of board feet an hour. I know I could just buy the slabs from someone but that is not my style plus I want to build some projects around my place and I have access to some logs. I would also like to mill a bunch of maple I have into a nice maple floor for my house. I have been looking at mills from Timber King, Wood-Mizer, Norwood & Woodland Mills. What do you have or have been around?

The Woodland mill is the cheapest for what you get but it is not as nice as some of the others.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

I can't help you with a recommendation but I would own one in a 'New York minute' if I were younger.

We have a Wood Miser. But in addition to the bandsaw mill you will need a bobcat to lift the logs onto the mill. There are some mills that are ground level but you have to gorilla the log onto the rails, you have to manually turn the log. With the woodmizer it will turn the logs for you (depending on model, i think). Save your money up and get a good brand that will do alot of the work for you because i promise it will save to lots of pain and aggrivation.
    There is also a bit of science to cutting logs that you should study up on. See if there is any woodworking shows coming to your area so you can go see one in action, or a dealer closeby.
    There is definitely something special about cutting into a log and discovering some beautiful grain...good luck
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Mike…
    We don’t own our own mill, but have seen many in use… One vender has a log-master, one a wood-miser another a homemade 60” mill!

What I’ve seen is that any mill can get you good lumber, but you need an operator who cares and understands your goals! A maladjusted mill that is climbing and diving through the log is just creating headaches, a blade with one bent tooth is wasting a lot of good lumber! No matter what size mill you buy, it’ll be to small soon enough! Buy the largest you can swing!

Jack made a good point about the Bobcat… wet logs are heavy!

Even more important, how are you going to dry it? We made a very successful solar kiln, but the logs we’re getting lately are too long for it… we’re paying .50 per bd ft per month for drying while our own kiln sits empty.
    SG

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I did not mention it but I have a #5000 forklift and a tractor with a loader and backhoe with a thumb. Moving the logs won't be a problem I also have a barn with pallet racking for wood storage. I may need to fashion some sort of kiln for drying.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

We owned a Woodmizer , sold it to get the CNC but will buy another Woodmizer with hydraulics. They have a place on their website to list used mills

I would Not buy any other brand and I would not buy without hydraulics.

Tim
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

This past December I talked a buddy of mine into buying a TimberKing. He bought the basic $7900 model. I like the way these are constructed with the large A-frame head. The Woodmizers have the cantilever head and I just can't get past that these will more than likely wear quicker and produce a slanted cut.
    Earlier last year, another buddy and me almost went in together and ordered a 2400 Timberking to go along with his landscaping/tree business. This would be a great machine to have for small production but couldn't justify it in the long run especially since I have lots of side jobs already.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

Quote Originally Posted by guitarwes View Post
    This past December I talked a buddy of mine into buying a TimberKing. He bought the basic $7900 model. I like the way these are constructed with the large A-frame head. The Woodmizers have the cantilever head and I just can't get past that these will more than likely wear quicker and produce a slanted cut.
    Earlier last year, another buddy and me almost went in together and ordered a 2400 Timberking to go along with his landscaping/tree business. This would be a great machine to have for small production but couldn't justify it in the long run especially since I have lots of side jobs already.
    Wish I had a buddy I could talk into buying something like that!
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

I have a Norwood mx34. Nice machine. I owned a smaller Norwood before with only a 13hp engine and smaller cut . We upgraded to a bigger machine with a 23hp within 2 years. Still not enough power in my opinion. Grew up with a circle mill on the farm. I hear the circle hatch marks are coming back. I would say whatever you buy make sure it is not under powered. I have heard good things about woodmizer and timberking as well. We send out our lumber to be dried by someone else and also air dry some

I use an Alaskan chainsaw mill, fine for cutting slabs for furniture but not for siding a house.

I have a friend with a nice hydraulic woodmizer for when I need large quantities. He has had it for at least 20 years.

Another friend has a Hud-Son basic model it workes ok but has a manual carriage they start around 5000