Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half hull file wanted

Default Half hull file wanted

Hello, I am a sailor on a small river and we have beer can races as I like to call them. we only have about 8 boats and I wanted to take it up a notch with a trophy. I was trying to come up with a sailboat half hull model so I could cut and make a trophy. I was looking for a classic full keel type hull for this idea but any sailboat would be appreciated. I have a shopbot and cut mostly plastic so any help with wood choice would be great too. If none available maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Cheers,SteveO

Let me know if this works. I made this model to enter a contest and it is based on the Haven 12-1/2. It is designed for a 3d printer, but you can modify the file.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:923580

Willnewton, thanks so much for the fast help like always everyone is willing to do here. It is a pleasure being part of this forum hoping I can pay it forward and help someone someday. The hull is in two pieces upper and lower so I will do some research to blend the two and make one file if I can. not sure that is even an option and if not I will cut the two parts and glue and sand them up together unless someone else has something else for me to try. If I make this I will send you a picture. I really appreciate your time to help me. Cheers, SteveO

Default Sailboat Trophie Plaque

The sailboat trophies I've done (and won) have been half models. So here is a hull to add to a backer board, just outline the sails, keel, and rudder. Don't know what software you have but here's a rendered file. What is the final size you're looking for. I can email you a cut file if you like. russ at hobby-tronics dot com

Attached Images Attached Images
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Steve since I made the file, I can cut or assemble the boat parts however you like and post it up for you. I was just checking to see if that style of boat is something you were looking for.

I should print myself a half hull of the Haven anyway....maybe I will play with it a little bit today.

Yes the hull is a along the lines, and for what I am doing my plans were to change it around a few times and maybe even paint instead of varnish so as to make maybe up to 3 or 4 trophies and then do something else. just depends how well it looks and is liked by the sailors if I make more than one. we have about 4 to 6 races a year and well I would like to have more. I am hoping this will make them get active a little more to win a trophy. we are like kids playing in the water but really just a group of ragged ass sailors having fun. Thanks for your help and if you can make just the hull file that would be awesome I have Aspire and Vcarve but never have used the Aspire very much as it is a little confusing to me. I have only used some pre made files. Cheers.

Russ, thank you for your willingness to help, I will take all I can get. I have both aspire and vcarve but the aspire I have not had much luck working with. I have cut some premade files but not really a wood carver or wood anything. I cut plastics and all ways only 2 d stuff. I took this on to learn a little but bit off a lot. The hull looks great but not sure I could put a rudder and keel on it and look very nice. I do not need sails or anything else just gunnel down and was going to paint or varnish and glue to a cut out board with a little vcarve on it for winner. if the guys expressed they like it I may do a couple more and then move on to something else. eventually I will build a big over exaggerated really big cup award for someone to hold and defend as sailor of the year like. the final size of the hull I would like to do is about 10 inches. I will pm my email to you and if you think it will help me please send it so I can look at it and see what I can do. cheers to you as well. SteveO

No problem. I have a quickie project I'm doing for the local quilters (I make all of their patterns, clear plastic) then I'm available. The rudder and keel are just thin slabs attached to the plaque. If I was doing this project I would also lightly engrave the outline only of the parts on the backer which would give good alignment for the parts. I also make all of our local clubs badges so I would do the engraving on the badge material for the award. Anyhow, I look forward to hearing from ya'. Russ

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chiloquinruss; 02-09-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    AKA: Da Train Guy

great Russ I will be standing by as there is no hurry. I will continue to work with Willnewton also and maybe will learn something along this path. thanks Steveo

If you back to the thingiverse.com link I posted earlier, you will see that I have added a half hull version suitable for CNC. I have not cut or printed it myself, so got no guarantees, but will make small changes as needed so it will cut happily.

I should do this as a 3D carving project myself. I have only cut 2.5D and done some 3D scanning with my Bot. It would be a good file to learn on. Maybe I can try it this coming week.