Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Table Top Not Flat

Here are some of the photos of measuring. I measured the X car, the X rails, the table in X, Y and at odd angles. I measured all over, in increments of one foot, and everything was level. So on the big level, measuring over the scale of feet, everything was amazingly level. So I got something right! Thanks, Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

A couple of things to keep in mind:

*) If you're getting that tiny bit of variation I wouldn't chase it any more... 0.002" is 1/2 the thickness of a piece of paper. I can't imagine that you would ever see that little bit of variation in anything you'll ever do.

*) ShopBots, and any other tool that uses stepper motors, move in fixed "steps" that vary in size based on the unit values. They will stop on the closest step to the command that you gave it, which may not be exactly the distance you commanded it to go. So you may see tiny variations between where you sent the tool and where it stops.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I don't think I have ever had a message from a super moderator before....... I am honored! Chuck
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Hello Eric, and anyone else following this thread.....

I went to the local gear supply store, (Motion Industries) with my pinion in hand. It is marked "Browning EN-6415". They couldn't find "Browning EN-6415" in their catalogs.

So the salesman pulled out some gages, and fit them to the teeth of my pinion, and said he wasn't sure of the fit. So he asked me if I could come back with the rack. Since they are closed on Saturday and Sunday, I'll go back on Monday with my rack.

Is that normal? Is there any chance this gear isn't something ordinary that I just can't buy locally? Do I have to worry about the fact that his gage didn't fit in snugly to my pinion's teeth?

Thanks again, Chuck
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

I don't know Chuck, but from a moral support standpoint, I would hope to he** that's not the case. Pardon me. I would really get concerned when he asked me to bring the rack in. Who wants to remove that? I thought one of the many, many pluses of ShopBot was that they keep their machines as proprietary free as is reasonably possible so the consumer has options, esp. on the fairly common mechanical parts.

I realize the whole ShopBot business model has changed since I bought mine in 2001, but I'd like to think their manufacturing model has remained true to it's original intent and concept. I don't think Ted and Sallye and all the others have changed. Keeping my fingers crossed this is a mis-fire. Good luck, man. Let us know.

Can't you just buy new ones from Shopbot?
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Hello Kyle. Yes, I could order from Shopbot. I was hoping to save a couple of bucks, and ideally pick the part up on Friday or Monday.

Knothead, not speaking for Shopbot of course, but in my past life as a electronics design engineer, it is pretty easy to start off using as many standard parts as possible, but then upon testing, something is found that can be improved, you talk to the salesman, and they say, gee, it won't cost much to make this change, and before you know it, you have a new custom part.

Now, not being a mechanical engineer, I was wondering if gears are fairly standard, in many regards, such that if my salesman's gage didn't fit nicely, that it really shouldn't be a concern. The salesman didn't seem to be really very alert or on the ball............ not that I like to pass judgement, but he didn't inspire my confidence.

Thanks, Chuck
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Is getting an ill fitting gear worth saving a few bucks? They aren't that expensive from ShopBot, I'd order them directly from them. That way you get a guaranteed good fit.

Hello Shopbot friends: I checked out one of my two X pinions, and found it to be slightly worn, but much nicer looking than my Z pinion. But I decided to go ahead and buy three new pinions from Shopbot.

So I called Shopbot to order three new pinions, (they are all the same part number, EN6418), and I asked to talk to technical support about my flatness issue. No techs were available, so I went on-line and filled out the request for tech support. Hopefully someone can call me back this afternoon. I'll post what I find out.

Thanks, Chuck
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

I have ordered 4 new pinions, which will come in maybe 4 business days. I will replace all of my pinions and then I'll resurface my spoilboard.

So the changes made since the previous re-surfacing will be re-torqueing/loc-titing my gantry bolts and replacing all the pinions. That will probably happen next week.......... I'll post at that time, thanks, Chuck
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5