Thread: Z Zero Clip

Default Z Zero Clip

After five years I finally got to join the club of people who forget to unhook them.
    I was setting up to cut a small sign and my phone rang in the middle of zeroing the Z, stopped to answer the phone and when I got back proceeded to start cutting and you can guess what happened after that

I know that i have been doing this all wrong but it has worked for years. But i connect the clip to the screw/bolt that screws up against the router from the casing. Right or wrong it works. And on a few occasions I forgot to remove it. I am all ears about why i should not do this.

I hook mine to one of the bolts on the spindle bracket and not the bit. Right after I clip it to the bolt I take the plate itself and lightly touch it to the tip of the bit to see if the green light comes on on the control panel to see if it makes a connection.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

Rick,
    So long as when you tap plate to bit you get a green light on input 3(?), you're good to go.
    For Desktops, we're usually lucky with clipping to the left leveling leg.
    2 Desktops/3 years, and the clip has never been put on the spindle nut or bit.
    If you have a safe place for permanent clamping, it saves a lot of time in the long run(and you don't have to call Shopbot and ask how much they cost
    Just DON"T forget to tap plate EVERY time! Wires come loose/clamp shifts/etc. (don't ask
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

When I got my alpha Buddy with a spindle, the alligator clip was clipped to the aluminum side plate. In 10 years, I have not moved that clip and so far the zeroing plate has functioned as attended.

Is this dumb luck on my part and have I been functioning on thin ice? Please enlighten me.

Generally, with a spindle, you don't need it. Might be some special cases like ceramic bearings.
    Scott