Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jerky Shopbot from Aspire Resulting in Unwanted Sanding and Potential Machine Damage

I am sure I don't understand your problem, but if you are cutting a profile, why don't you just cut the profile without "Project" onto model and just cut it like a 2D piece? Also, as Scott has mentioned, if your skateboard model was designed on too large a material blank, you will lose a lot of resolution and the cutter will try to cut out the jagged edge. Also, if you decide you do want to cut the profile as a part of the 3D model, you might want to add a little "Draft" to the sides and this will help eliminate some of the jaggedness on the edge. Finally, between Scott and Gary, you have about the best help you can get and I represent a pair of brown shoes in a room full of tuxedos, so if this is no use to you, just be kind and move on....joe

Hey Jeff,

We made skateboards at the Maker Faire in NY last fall and had a very similar problem with projecting the profile cut onto the model of the board. I am 3-dimensionally challenged so asked Brian Moran of Vectric if he had any suggestions...this was his reply:

"The problem occurs because you have a pretty low resolution for the 3D model within VCarve. You have ‘Standard’ resolution set for the model on the Job Setup form which uses about 1,000,000 points. On your job this leads to a resolution of about 1220 x 814. The 1220 pixels in X translates to a pixel size of about 0.030” or 0.75mm in real money. When we drop the tool onto the model during the projection process there are relatively few ‘pixels’ under the tool, so it picks up the same Z value for quite a range of XY positions. This is what is giving the ‘steps’ in the toolpath – what you have are a series of XY moves which should have a continuously changing Z component but instead we have a series of discrete Z values repeated across multiple moves.

The easy way to improve this is simply to increase the model resolution you are working with. For a 36” job when modelling we would recommend using at least the “Very High (7 x Slower)” setting for model resolution. We would also recommend restricting the job size to just the area you are working on so that all the ‘pixels’ are used in the area in which you actually have a model. For your job the area being projected was only 36” x 11” but the workpiece was 36” x 24” in effect wasting half the resolution.

There are some even higher resolutions which can only be accessed by holding down the Shift key when starting a new model or going back into the Job Setup form. For your job I would have picked the highest of these – “Maximum (50 x Slower)” and doing this pretty much removes the jaggies. You can do this on your existing file and we will resample and interpolate the new pixel data from the model you have already imported. For the very best results it is a 1 minute job to extrude your shape within Aspire using the 2 rail sweep and not bother with importing triangulated models at all "

Hope this helps,
    Bill

I like Joes response, Gary and Scott have forgotten more about cnc than I will ever learn. Its been my experience that if you use aspire to create a vector boundary you will end up with a jagged mess as shown in my picture. I use node editing to smooth out the nodes and delete as many as i can and move the profile vector within the pixels of your component as shown with the smoother vector.

Quote Originally Posted by BillYoung View Post
    Hey Jeff,

We made skateboards at the Maker Faire in NY last fall and had a very similar problem with projecting the profile cut onto the model of the board. I am 3-dimensionally challenged so asked Brian Moran of Vectric if he had any suggestions...this was his reply:

"The problem occurs because you have a pretty low resolution for the 3D model within VCarve. You have ‘Standard’ resolution set for the model on the Job Setup form which uses about 1,000,000 points. On your job this leads to a resolution of about 1220 x 814. The 1220 pixels in X translates to a pixel size of about 0.030” or 0.75mm in real money. When we drop the tool onto the model during the projection process there are relatively few ‘pixels’ under the tool, so it picks up the same Z value for quite a range of XY positions. This is what is giving the ‘steps’ in the toolpath – what you have are a series of XY moves which should have a continuously changing Z component but instead we have a series of discrete Z values repeated across multiple moves.

The easy way to improve this is simply to increase the model resolution you are working with. For a 36” job when modelling we would recommend using at least the “Very High (7 x Slower)” setting for model resolution. We would also recommend restricting the job size to just the area you are working on so that all the ‘pixels’ are used in the area in which you actually have a model. For your job the area being projected was only 36” x 11” but the workpiece was 36” x 24” in effect wasting half the resolution.

There are some even higher resolutions which can only be accessed by holding down the Shift key when starting a new model or going back into the Job Setup form. For your job I would have picked the highest of these – “Maximum (50 x Slower)” and doing this pretty much removes the jaggies. You can do this on your existing file and we will resample and interpolate the new pixel data from the model you have already imported. For the very best results it is a 1 minute job to extrude your shape within Aspire using the 2 rail sweep and not bother with importing triangulated models at all "

Hope this helps,
    Bill

Wow, I think that SHIFT key trick did it. Cannot thank you enough. I am going to cut a part now but just watched the program move and it was beautiful. I will try this on my next file and hope to see the same results.

Attached a sample of the Profile cut.
    Attached Files Attached Files