Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toolpaths

Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    This is neither what you showed originally or what your preview shows. This is a carved piece that is simply cut out.
    Sir in my haste to show that i am making progress,i understand that toolpath isn't showing what i wanted in the first picture,but i was getting difficulty in actually producing the toolpath show,i am new to this so bare with me if possible,thanks.

Don't worry about it
    Sounds like you jumped in the deep end of the pool, and we're nit-picking on your technique of keeping your head above water
    The Vectric Forum is a great place to post the actual files you're having problems with, and usually somebody will actually work your file for the desired results fast as people are world wide, and it's more of the software place anyways.
    When it comes to problems with the machine actually cutting the piece...THIS is where you want to be!
    Welcome...and feel free to e-mail me under my contact info.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

This is what you want.
    I have this in illustrator format, but the blog doesn't allow .ai files. If you want to email me, I can send you the vectors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Don't worry about it
    Sounds like you jumped in the deep end of the pool, and we're nit-picking on your technique of keeping your head above water
    The Vectric Forum is a great place to post the actual files you're having problems with, and usually somebody will actually work your file for the desired results fast as people are world wide, and it's more of the software place anyways.
    When it comes to problems with the machine actually cutting the piece...THIS is where you want to be!
    Welcome...and feel free to e-mail me under my contact info.
    scott
    Yes i am in the deep end concerning this project,watching as many tutorials as i can,to get my head around working with ShopBot,just got some new cutters as well,1/4" spiral-up and 1/8" ball nose,well get others as i go along.

Quote Originally Posted by tysmall View Post
    Yes i am in the deep end concerning this project,watching as many tutorials as i can,to get my head around working with ShopBot,just got some new cutters as well,1/4" spiral-up and 1/8" ball nose,well get others as i go along.
    I got your message. Sent you an email with the .ai file attached. Let me know if you can't open it.
    If you can open it, let us know and we can discuss your toolpath strategy...

I don't know what software you have but I took Rob's pix and ran Aspire trace function and then let it preview the toolpath. Here it is. Russ

Attached Images Attached Images
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Tyrone contacted me via email. Here's what I did to help. I sent him the .ai file directly, but I wanted to post my little write up to him here (with pictures) to hopefully share with everybody.
    I took your image and traced it in CorelDraw. Corel has some pretty good tracing tools, but you really need good contrast in the image to get the automatic tracing tools to give you good results. Your source image doesn't have very good contrast.

If you look at your image, you'll see that it's basically a repeating pattern in 4 quadrants.

So the first thing I did was to crop out one of the quadrants.

Then I just spent a few minutes hand tracing the shapes using bezier curves.

Then when I was happy with the one quadrant, I just copied and mirrored 3 more copies and welded it all together.

I still needed to tweak a few vertices after the weld operation, but this looks good for what you need.

I'm going to post this little write up on the ShoBot blog in the thread you started with some additional pictures. If you have any questions ask there so we can share this info with everybody.

R
    Last edited by robtown; 03-22-2017 at 11:51 PM. Reason: inline images were too big and it made it hard to read the post

It wouldn't let me attach two of my images...
    Here's the single quadrant traced with the source image deleted.
    And the final outlines.

Also, please note I did not include the circle in the middle in any of my copy and mirror operations.
    Last edited by robtown; 03-22-2017 at 11:54 PM.

Good day to everyone,want to thank Rob for his help in getting a decent vector to work with,however i said i would do a section of the work to shown the client,ran a preview of the toolpath,yet to my horror,on the second passed the machine like it lose part of the file,it cut thru part of the job and did a different toolpath for the second,i stopped it,told it to JH and that was about an inch away from what i had set the original JH to be.What gives?SandyLane.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tysmall View Post
    Good day to everyone,want to thank Rob for his help in getting a decent vector to work with,however i said i would do a section of the work to shown the client,ran a preview of the toolpath,yet to my horror,on the second passed the machine like it lose part of the file,it cut thru part of the job and did a different toolpath for the second,i stopped it,told it to JH and that was about an inch away from what i had set the original JH to be.What gives?
    Looks like you "lost steps"...
    Were you pushing it too hard? (cutting too deep, too fast can cause you to lose steps).