Thread: ahas anyone bought the new z upgrade for a prtalpha?

Default ahas anyone bought the new z upgrade for a prtalpha?

I am debating on it. I could shoot the spindle back al title ways so I can fit a 4" hose in front right now I have to use a 3" and it catches on everything. having 2" extra would be great when using a pen on thick stock and cutting 3" material. plus take care of the slop in my z after 10 years of use.

I purchased one from Gary C , couldn't be happier.
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Quote Originally Posted by barrowj View Post
    I purchased one from Gary C , couldn't be happier.
    its a lot of money so Want to make sure.

I have a single Z with a spindle on a PRT Alpha 4x8 and have plenty of room for my 4" hose. Would be happy to take pics if you want to see.

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Steve...
    The Z assembly that I mfgr is ONLY for PRT users that use the ASM911 direct drive motors that are purchasing my belt reduction drives for the X & Y axes.

It is an option that gives good Z resolution and reduction without requiring an upgrade to the 7.2:1 (or 10:1)alpha gearmotor and driver for the Z axis. It uses a 5mm pitch ballscrew, supported linear rails and has an air counterbalance. Even tho the CFM requirement is slight, an airline is nonetheless required.

Current pricing (based on 4 units) is $350 each for the 4:1 belt drives is $350 each and $900 for the Z (as shown below) with air regulator.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by barrowj View Post
    I have a single Z with a spindle on a PRT Alpha 4x8 and have plenty of room for my 4" hose. Would be happy to take pics if you want to see.

Joe
    I have my spindle mounted in the middle with the house coming out the front and the hose rubs all over so I use a 3" hose. but even with a 3" it catches on the front of the spindle. I

ok the good the bad and the ugly of installing the retro z upgrade. the thing is heavy and solid much nicer then the old setup. no wheels to adjust 2” more zip nice and getting rid of the slop is great.
    ok when I measured things i figured out the bracket height. but you look at the pics showing the bottom bracket attached. but to get the carriage low enough to use them my table would have to be 5” lower. so unless my setup is strange I can’t see a need for them. but the thing was I installed them just to make sure. I found two missing t nuts and two missing bolts. I could get close enough replacements at the hardware store but come on 1500.00 and missing hardware. it was a maggot pain getting the t nuts into the track.
    ok so when I find this is way too low I take off the bottom brackets and mount it at the hight I Had planned on.
    so that was the worst part but then I go to mount the motor and they gave me metric bolts and it needs 5/16” back to the store. then I go to lower the z and it is backwards up is down down is up. Now this is normal because the track is on the opposite side so it is backwards. but no info on that in the instructions.
    I get the spindle on and it is pretty easy to get it all square with the table. I had this same type setup added to my old z so I was used to how to fix it.
    so the bad was wrong/missing bolts and lack of info on the brackets and the reverse z. I called shopbot after requesting the parts yesterday. told them the problems. they are working on a different design anyway so it will all get re written.
    the good parts is it is easy to get the pinion tight against the rack and to remove the motor. it washed to get the pinion down far enough not to rub on the aluminum block beside the rack so Could see adding washers between the motor and the z. or motor and the plate that would be easier. the z makes a different sound I am going to have to get used to that. there is a little more room between the spindle and the front of the carriage and I may now be able to get a 4” hose in there. I am redesigning my dust boot so it attaches to the built in dc adjuster. so it won’t be strapped to the spindle.
    the slop is gone and 2” more z is great. only a few sheets but no real tool marks when the bit raises.
    I had to change the settings in my custom# file because the x is now back further took awhile to find the right copy of it I have about 7 old copies on that computer and it has been years since I changed it.
    the whole day was wacky I had a customer that needed a couple sheets cut but I had to send a courier together them audit takes about 4 hours s oI got started on the upgrade. I would have made it but for the missing parts and the reversed z. but when the courier got there to get the plywood no plywood my customer thought I was buying it and having it picked up (I had no idea what the plywood he wanted was mind you) but when I called and found out what happened I lucked out and had two sheets but the machine was done. it was 7 by the time I got it up and running but he said o them tomorrow.
    so after some programming to get the machine to zero where Wanted it and all it is cutting great.