Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Live Edge" Counter top

Scott,

Just to be clear. If you have the time...a beaver could...give you the live edge you seek? LOL

J

BTW, that's a real nice edge to decorate that counter top. Bravo Keith and Michael.

Keith,

I'm always enjoying your posts. You are one talented fellow.

The photo's are of my work table. Sorry about the color, I just snapped them under existing light.

My wood mill tole me the bark will stay on longer if the wood is cut during growth period. These are three years old and it seems to be holding well. I believe this Walnut. The Live edge is glued to poplar, then sandblasted redwood. The top is nothing more than a sheet of HDF with no finish.

I wanted a rough timber look. The legs are free cast a-ways from Cedar.

Joe

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harnett View Post
    Looks great, I have done similar using the bandsaw and an angle grinder with an aggressive sanding disk for shaping.
    Brian, I thought about doing something like that, but had my doubts about whether I could pull it off. With your carving talents it would probalby be a lot quicker to form the live edge with a grinder than on the CNC.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    The photo's are of my work table. Sorry about the color, I just snapped them under existing light.

My wood mill tole me the bark will stay on longer if the wood is cut during growth period. These are three years old and it seems to be holding well. I believe this Walnut. The Live edge is glued to poplar, then sandblasted redwood. The top is nothing more than a sheet of HDF with no finish.

I wanted a rough timber look. The legs are free cast a-ways from Cedar.
    Joe, I'm told when turning natural edge bowls that the chance of the bark staying on depends a lot on when the tree was cut down. Well, that and the liberal application of CA glue. If the tree is cut down in the winter then there is a far better chance of the bark staying on.
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/

Bark is a lot tighter in the winter as well as less sap content, trees I get in the spring the bark will slip right off on most types, The winter cut I have to really work at them to get it off winter cut wood has less sap and moisture, tends not to mold as much if air drying.

I'm in full agreement with Brian and Keith about the time to harvest lumber in order to keep the bark.

From contributor A:
    Basswood and sassafras are two of the best and you can get ERC and walnut to hold it if cut in the fall and winter time. Sometimes logs just hold it and other times let them go. Hickory will shed it no matter what as will ash most of the time. I have had a few cotton woods hold but it was thin bark for cotton wood.

From contributor H:
    Any wood will keep its bark on but don't use spring cut logs! The best success is to have the tree go from stump to kiln and within days the bark will stick at that point. We make bark trim and mantles with great results. If you have a piece that feels loose use a brad nailer to hold the bark on you can't see the small nail holes.
    Last edited by joe; 03-10-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: placement of photo

Just to follow up. I delivered and installed the project today. It is a shoe closet. The pictures show the unit assembled and waiting for delivery in my workshop and then installed. The piece was installed into a small alcove by the entrance to the condo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/

Very Nice!!!