Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visible shuddering when moving in one direction only in X

Default Visible shuddering when moving in one direction only in X

My PRT4896 has a visible "shudder" moving from any point in X back towards 0. I don't see it when jogging, just at cut speeds.
    I did replace the pinion gears a few years ago just before I closed my shop and moved it into my garage. And it has been lightly used over the years since then.
    What I have not in quite a while is taken the time to tune-up the machine and make sure everything is still square.
    But if this were a problem with square and level, I would expect to see issues with it moving in both directions in X, not just one direction.
    could this be a symptom of a motor on it's last leg or a driver?
    I have the 4G upgrade BTW.

Just curious, what is your move speed.

Drop the motors down and check if one of the x motors has quit working - wiring, driver or motor itself, or loose pinion
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy1296 View Post
    Just curious, what is your move speed.
    I've never pushed it past 3.2 inches per second for cut speed. If did go higher than that, it was while cutting foam. Either HDU or 2" pink foam insulation from HD.

Quote Originally Posted by zeykr View Post
    Drop the motors down and check if one of the x motors has quit working - wiring, driver or motor itself, or loose pinion
    Will do.
    If a loose pinion, I would expect to see it when moving both directions. But who knows?
    another thing I might try is swapping the X motors and see if the problem occurs while moving from 0 to 96 in X.

You might do the reset command. I have had the speed and acceleration values go wonky and cause symptoms like stuttering. I don't remember if the stutter happened in one or both directions.

One of my drivers went bad o9ne time and it sounded like I was mixing concrete in a metal bucket...joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Porter View Post
    One of my drivers went bad o9ne time and it sounded like I was mixing concrete in a metal bucket...joe
    I can't say it really sounds any different that it used to.

Not sure, but, when I bought my PRT9648 it growled something terrible. I thought it was the motor (not), then the pinion gear (not), and then found the driver for the one side was dead and two others not working like they should. I had the board repaired and no more growling. Yours is different though, mine did it in both directions, albeit, not as much in one. And it did it in cutting and jogging. Might be a case of the driver starting to go bad.
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

Update on this...
    i purchased these motors (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...003#post205003) a while back but they’ve been sitting on a shelf since I got them.

Finally got around to swapping them out for my X motors today. The difference in sound when I jog is quite profound. They are so much quieter and the visible shudder is gone.

I wish I had done a before and after video to show it, but I really didn’t expect this.

Does anybody know the difference between the specs of the A6497-9412KTG motors and the A7328-9412KTG motors? The only visible difference is the strain relief is in a different position and the A7328 uses metric bolts for mounting.