Thread: substrate for project

Default substrate for project

I am on contract for 3d carving , 2 sided , 200 each of 5 different parts
    We originally were going to make them out of Valchromat. Valchromat is a resin based mdf that comes in different colors. It worked ok for some of the parts. They all are thin Walled and some have tabs that keep breaking off. so we are looking for a material thats stronger
    Here are some pictures of one of the parts
    4th bottom.jpg4th top.jpg

I am mostly experienced in working in wood so not familiar with other material such as HDU and PVC.

Any suggestions ?

well thats almost all 2d work that I see. you could outline all the cuts with a small bit before pocketing the bulk and that would help. but pvc would be stronger hdu would be weaker.

Non expanded PVC would work.

Is the money there for acetal copolymer? Machines like a dream and still crazy strong in wafer thin sections.

Marc

Whats the difference between non expanded pvc and expanded pvc. Also where do you get it

I take it that Copolymer is expencive. do you have any sources as to where to get it .

The Valchromat that we're using cost about $ 400.00 a sheet, so we probably wouldn't want to go much more then that

sintra or pvc foam is lighter then solid pic. solid is a pvc pipe. whats the part used for? how thick is it? and what about doing most of it in 2d? it would be faster and cleaner. acrylic may work or polycarbonate or hdpe here ispvc. https://www.mcmaster.com/#pvc/=16qtnm3

Without knowing the size or use it's hard to help but my gut says you should be cutting a master and having it molded and mass produced. There are a bunch of different types of waxes that machine really well and fast and might be ideal if that's an option.

If that's not an option, I'd be thinking hard plastic like Delrin. This is not my field of expertise so I'd call around and try to find someone that's a plastics expert or simply talk it over with your client. They should know something. I will say expanded PVC would be close to the bottom of my list. If MDF is breaking, I wouldn't go with HDU either.

Quote Originally Posted by RossMosh View Post
    Without knowing the size or use it's hard to help but my gut says you should be cutting a master and having it molded and mass produced. There are a bunch of different types of waxes that machine really well and fast and might be ideal if that's an option.

If that's not an option, I'd be thinking hard plastic like Delrin. This is not my field of expertise so I'd call around and try to find someone that's a plastics expert or simply talk it over with your client. They should know something. I will say expanded PVC would be close to the bottom of my list. If MDF is breaking, I wouldn't go with HDU either.
    Lots of agreement.

Molding would be the way to go, but that would be a fairly technical mold as is. If you could get away with eliminating any depth on the simple side so you could just radius the outer profile on a router, it could be a simple open mold. You don't mention the physical properties necessary.

Or you could cast it in an open mold, vac it down on the machine for side B.

Do you have a volume on the part (cubic inch)? Could price out the resin pretty quick if so.

Delrin is acetal homopolymer (vs copolymer). The caveat there is centerline porosity - Google will give you all you need to make a decision. Pricey, though, but what we've found in ordering acetal and plastics in general is it pays to RFQ vs online pricing even full sheets. Prices have been almost halved in doing so. It comes natural (white) and black. I prefer black as we media blast it for mold masters - easier to see. Acetal has been my favorite plastic to work with. Great lubricity, takes a hell of a beating without complaining, and holds good tolerance.

We also work with a lot of polycarbonate. Also very tough stuff, but would be much more difficult to machine in this instance IMO. I only like it for profile work where durability is a concern.

HDU is great for shaping, cuts well, and is easy to work with but not at all durable in any density I've tried (up to 48#). Great for cutting a mold master if you are ok with a fair amount of finish work or the natural foam finish.

Marc

As far as cutting strategies I am partially cutting 2d and 3d where it calls for it.
    This part is 11 x 6 and 1" thick
    I am looking at solid pvc (grey) The other material: ,Delrin, Copolymer ect. LOOK A LITTLE expensive
    How well dose PVC cut ? dose it cut clean or do you have to do alot of cleanup afterwords.?
    My clients has looked into having it molded but said that was also a little more expencive for that size of run.