Thread: 3d file help

Angry 3d file help

I am trying to import a 3D file and cut it in half so I can cut both pieces and glue them up to make a full 3D part. Where I am having an issue is that the part is round and when it cuts it out it leaves a 3/8 shoulder/flat around the part.

I have modeled it and tried everything I can think of and yet it still shows the flat in preview mode which translates to on the part as well.20170315_142633.jpg

I tried to attach the Aspire file but even zipped it is to large. I will gladly e-mail it or attach if someone can explain how and willing to help.

v/r

Robert

Try deleting the toolpaths, then save and zip to see if it is small enough. Make yourself a backup first.

You cannot cut anything that is considered an undercut in the file. If you imported a 3D model, you have the option of splitting it and importing both sides.
    Scott

Scott, Without the tool path it is still to large, and even the .obj file i am trying to use is to big to attach.

my e-mail is bayswooddesigns.com if you want to reply to that and I will try and send the files through e-mail

Probably to large for email too then. Got a Google Drive, Outlook, or Dropbox account?
    Scott

Hey Robert,

Your profile toolpath is set to 'On' when it should be 'Outside'. You really don't even need that profile path though. Just draw in some rectangles that would be where you want the tabs and create a shape from them (flat with a base of say 0.125"-0.25") and merge them. Then when you re-toolpath your 3D finish path, it will cut to the bottom and create the tabs for you. Give a boundary allowance of just more than the radius of the bit too, so it works its way all the way down.

Also, drop your model all the way to the bottom then in material setup, as you don't need the 0.0625 left on the bottom face.

If you need an example, let me know.

Edited to add a preview sample.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by srwtlc; 03-15-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the help. I will give it a shot myself as I learn better from experience. in saying that if it don't work I may need you to just lay it out for me lol...

Thanks again for the help.

v/r

Robert