Thread: NEED HELP....Stepper motor extremly hot

Default NEED HELP....Stepper motor extremly hot

2001 PRT with 4G upgrade. The attached pic is the model stepper motor. The machine is turned on and this motor is extremely hot to the touch. All the other motors are cold. Is this motor going bad or shot? How much do these cost? I have a call into SB tech support but I know I will get a faster answer here.

Side note, I just sold the machine yesterday as well as my business and the guy is bringing me the cash today for the Bot. I can not sell a machine that has something wrong with it. It still operates. I am cutting one last job on it today. I am closing my shop, he is buying me out and I am going to work for him so I will still be running the machine for him.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, SB support called me back and said nothing to worry about. Machine is functioning perfectly and these steppers are made to handle up to 200 degrees so no worries.

The craziest thing. I have been cutting all day on the Bot and now that same stepper motor is not hot at all. That is wierd. Anybody seen that before? I mean thank goodness all is good, but I have never noticed anything like that and I have had the bot since new in 2001.

Yes when your steppers are standing still they will heat more than when they are working

I have had situations where i was cutting for hours and they were just good and warm and a couple other times where i would up with a burn on my belly from the motor. If it starts making noise or stops running THEN worry about it!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

The heat output of the motor is directly rated to the current that it is drawing. The motor has constant voltage and resistance, so the only variable is current. For the motor to get hot, it is drawing extra current. Were you doing a heavy cut or possibly had some debris in your rack causing the motor to work harder? You could have a spot that is putting the motor in a bind.
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router