Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sign design

I agree with Daniel with regard to the pastors name.

Attached is one idea of how changing the font style and color can make for better visibility.

Joe Crumley

Attached Images Attached Images

It would help to check the spelling as in "Bellview" then get it all centered up.

Joe

Thanks again for all the input. The pastors name will be on a removable panel. The church wants the sign to be black and white. I had not thought about running the wood grain vertical, but I do like that.

Joe

Are you saying that you carved the sandblasted look into PVC?

Pat,

Yes. I've been carving wood grain in PVC and HDU for several years. Please look at the front end of this post for an example of what it looks like.

Joe Crumley

How are you achieving this on your ShopBot Joe? What CAM software are you using?

Eric

Here's the way it goes today at my shop.

Most of the work done is PVC and Rough Cedar. When I started out, before any computer, the graining was done by sandblasting. This was done on clear heart redwood. To maintain this look I switched over to HDU using Aspire software. The update has been to PVC as we lost too many HDU signs to hail.

A couple of years ago Ron, my favorite employee, opened up his own routing service. I sold off my router and send the work to him. That's been an excellent business decision for both of us as this free's me up for sales, design and finishing. As everyone knows 3d work is time consuming and comes at a price. For that reason we don't see many small shops going in that direction

Joe

Joe Crumley
    Last edited by joe; 03-25-2017 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Additional Copy

A bit more on pockets.

When we took the job of making Park Signs for our city, knowing all of them would be located in recreation area's with lots of kids climbing all over them. Kid being kids meant the lettering had a better chance of survival if they couldn't get their little fingers around them. We started this project about two years ago. So far there has been no repair. Kind of amazing since there's sixty of them.

There's another advantage to creating pockets. Well, there area at least two reasons. Painting letters as individual pieces is so easy and saves lots of time. When creating pockets, for this kind of work, it's best to be generous allowing extra room around the lettering. That little space makes the sign look more custom. I know that sound strange but lettering done this way really stands out as a custom job.

Joe

Is that woodgrain carved by hand? It looks like a rasterized image from Aspire along the top arcs and on top of some of the letters...

Nevermind, I missed the reply above.