Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Live Edge" Counter top

Default "Live Edge" Counter top

My current project called for a live edge counter top. The project is being built from alder, and I was having difficulty sourcing an alder live edge slab here in Florida. I contacted Michael Mezalick at Carved Details and asked about a 3D model so I could carve one. In short order he sent me a file and I cut it yesterday. I was very pleased with how it turned out and also enjoyed working with Michael. He was very gracious with his expertise, even giving me help and advice with some of the minor midifications I needed to make to the file.

I decided a while back, that even though I have Aspire, I really didn't see myself ever having the time to become proficient at modelling. I'm at a point where I can do some basic manipulations to models to adapt them to my purposes. After that, it's really great to be able to reach out to someone like Michael and take advantage of his talents.

I'll add some more pictures when I've completed the project, for now here are some pictures of the "live edge" countertop. I cut a test piece from some foam first. The counter top started as a 45"x18"x1 3/4" blank that I glued up from 8/4 alder. I surfaced the underside of the blank first on the CNC. I cut a couple biscuit slots in the ends of the blank to use as a hold down. It worked great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/

Nice work Keith.........
    Michael

So what will you do to that edge to show a different color? Usually a live edge is dark? Looks good...
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I consulted my live edge expert...he says not always, and rarely on Poplar(Alder may be similar?) Jack.
    If the bark is loose then often it comes off clean. If a little dark cambrium is still on, it wears off quick, so you might as well take it off....if dark from weathering before it's cut, then you get the dark.
    NICE job Michael and Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

That is a great idea and looks quite realistic. I still need to do something with the pretty spalted Myrtlewood slab that I had questions about a couple of weeks ago and that has only one real live edge. But with this method I could make the other straight cut edge "live" as well. I think that will move up in the project queue...

Scott........"Nice Beaver"...
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mezalick View Post
    Nice work Keith.........
    Michael
    Thanks again Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    So what will you do to that edge to show a different color? Usually a live edge is dark? Looks good...
    It will be stained to match the rest of the piece. It's a pretty dark stain.
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/

What a awesome idea!!

Nice work Keith!

Tim
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Looks great, I have done similar using the bandsaw and an angle grinder with an aggressive sanding disk for shaping.

Good work for both of you. Can't wait to see the finished product.