Thread: Shelter 2.0 request

Default Shelter 2.0 request

Hi all,

The Shelter 2.0 project that I created with my buddy Robert Bridges has been selected at a finalist for the Infymaker Award Contest! It's in the public voting stage now, so if any of you have been following this ShopBot-cut emergency housing project and want to help out, we would sure appreciate both a vote and some social media sharing

https://shar.es/1Q4CRW

Bill and Robert

Very cool project, really need to spread that near and far. We still have people whose homes aren't habitable here in NC after Hurricane Matthew.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Bill,
    That's great that your project was chosen as a finalist. What would the prize (looks like $10k) do to further the Shelter 2.0 project?

Thanks for the interest Brady. The Shelter 2.0 project is fully funded by Robert Bridges and myself, so if we're one of the winners we'll be able to expand some of the projects we're working on.

One is a projects we're really interested in involves ways to expand the reach of the Shelter 2.0 design to areas that don't have access to CNC machines, by using a hybrid of digital and analog tools and techniques. We've done a lot of the preliminary work on adapting the new 8x8 Shelter design for this fabrication process..this will help us buy materials to test it out. If it turns out to be practical we'll work with friends in FabLabs and the Global Humanitarian Lab to do some on-site demo projects. I wrote a post a while back on Medium.com that describes what we have in mind:

https://medium.com/@wlyoung/there-ar...s-45b444ff1a31

Another project we're interested in is an offshoot of the Homebuilt system for building digitally-augmented, traditional stud-framed homes. The Homebuilt system creates structures that are building code compliant so you can get a building permit and occupancy permit for them, and the addition of CNC-cut features simplifies the construction process and allows homeowners to be involved in building their own home. There's a local organization setting up a training program to build low-cost homes that we would like to help, with the idea of exporting the technology to areas that need lots of homes.

These are both projects we'll work along on as we can afford it...if we win the Infymaker contest though it'll just happen much sooner!

Bill

We just found out that Shelter 2.0 is one of the winners of an Infy Maker Award! Thanks so much to all that supported us.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BillYoung View Post
    Thanks for the interest Brady. The Shelter 2.0 project is fully funded by Robert Bridges and myself, so if we're one of the winners we'll be able to expand some of the projects we're working on.

One is a projects we're really interested in involves ways to expand the reach of the Shelter 2.0 design to areas that don't have access to CNC machines, by using a hybrid of digital and analog tools and techniques. We've done a lot of the preliminary work on adapting the new 8x8 Shelter design for this fabrication process..this will help us buy materials to test it out. If it turns out to be practical we'll work with friends in FabLabs and the Global Humanitarian Lab to do some on-site demo projects. I wrote a post a while back on Medium.com that describes what we have in mind:

https://medium.com/@wlyoung/there-ar...s-45b444ff1a31

Another project we're interested in is an offshoot of the Homebuilt system for building digitally-augmented, traditional stud-framed homes. The Homebuilt system creates structures that are building code compliant so you can get a building permit and occupancy permit for them, and the addition of CNC-cut features simplifies the construction process and allows homeowners to be involved in building their own home. There's a local organization setting up a training program to build low-cost homes that we would like to help, with the idea of exporting the technology to areas that need lots of homes.

These are both projects we'll work along on as we can afford it...if we win the Infymaker contest though it'll just happen much sooner!

Bill

Congrats Bill!!!
    Well deserved!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Good Going, Bill & group !!!

Keep up the great work !!

Paul

Congratulations Bill and crew. Its nice to see people giving back to their communities but you guys are giving back to the world.

Keep this up and next thing you know you'll have to wear a TIE!

Congrats, very well deserved. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy