Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another table

Supper Nice... also love the carving you have ... great work.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Brian,
    I've done some bowties on joints that were perfectly square to each other for contrast and decoration but never on joints that were with a space in between so let me ask what might be a dumb question.

Assuming you cut them on your shopbot,When you drew up your bowties (female hole) did you cut them with the center and outsides pieces clamped together to make sure they would cut correctly and the center of the bowtie would be over the crack (empty space) between boards? If so, HOW?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

THAT Really is a stunning and beautiful on of Brian!!!
    What show was that? And how was it received by the people?
    Are you selling the table now? or just showing it off to see the interest level?
    Gorgeous!
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Jack I clamped the table down at the spacing I wanted and cut the tie pockets I had several files at differnt angles I just eyeballed where they went. Pretty simple.

Thanks for the compliments it is for sale had a lot of interest and the show promoter wants to feature it on their site.

Scott the show was in the ulster county fairgrounds New Paltz NY
    http://www.quailhollow.com/ we have had good results at this show its our 5th year I think and its the closest show to home only 40 min away.

Jack this is how I fixtured the top.
    DSCN2796 by Brian Harnett, on Flickr

Looked like a really NICE juried show!!
    Close by is just a plus!
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Do the bow-ties go clear through?

“Do the bow-ties go clear through?”

I’m interested in Brian’s thoughts here also, but thought I’d interject my experience…

The argument for NOT going clear through would include the additional glue surface area the bottom of the hole gives you.

Arguments TO go clear through include that hydraulic pressure developed in a blind hole can actually split the wood! This is not an issue when there is a physical gap like this table. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had potential customers get under a table to see if the bow-tie goes through… when it doesn’t, they assume it’s a veneer thick cosmetic ploy!

My practice is that for large items like tables and benches, I use a blind pocket for any additional strength it might give, but for smaller items like boxes, plaques or desk organizers, a bow-tie clear through is a crowd pleaser!

SG

KL Westfall, No on this one they are 1 1/8 deep I have made some interlocking tables that are through cuts like these in the pictures.

Steve, I have split a few pieces pounding a dowel or key with too much glue in a blind pocket a few times, now I either drill a relief hole on the bottom or groove the insert just shy of the top to let excess escape.

IMG_3314 by Brian Harnett, on Flickr

DSCN0046 by Brian Harnett, on Flickr