Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf Signs?

Default Golf Signs?

I am considering getting into the golf hole sign business. By golf hole sign I mean the sign at the tee box on each hole that shows the layout the ground between the tee and green. Seems simple enough; however, making a sign that will hold up in all types of weather is something to think about. Does anyone have any advise concerning the material and finishes to use?

Thanks in advance for any advise.
    Phil
    BT 32 Standard
    2.2 HP Spindle
    Aspire Sofrware

We been using king colorcore for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Naumenko View Post
    We been using king colorcore for years.
    Just started using it myself for some outdoor signs, really happy with it so far, easy to cut, durable. Now to just find a cheaper supplier!
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Signfoam, http://signfoam.com/ is a competitive product. Lot's of info on their site. Another excellent choice.
    If your signs are VCarved, no 3D images, PVC such as Azek, will do the job very well. Much less expensive. Available at Home Depot, Lowes, lumberyards etc. in a wide variety of dimensions as well as 4' x 8' sheets.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by phil_o View Post
    Signfoam, http://signfoam.com/ is a competitive product. Lot's of info on their site. Another excellent choice.
    If your signs are VCarved, no 3D images, PVC such as Azek, will do the job very well. Much less expensive. Available at Home Depot, Lowes, lumberyards etc. in a wide variety of dimensions as well as 4' x 8' sheets.

Phil
    Signfoam is not the same as kingcolor and would not be very good for golf signs

On projects like this the first thing I do is, find the retail prices. Second step, to see what the market is being offered. This is a well trodden path.

I'm with Jerry about not using HDU. That material would be one of the least desirable. GC markers need color, which can be applied with vinyl. That makes PVC very desirable. It's tough, and affordable. Please let us see how you do.

Default tee signs

Tee Signs need to be placed near the back of the tee to avoid a nasty ricochet. A golf ball can take off at 150 mph, many times in the wrong direction. Test material with a golf ball & slingshot to see how it holds up.

Golfers who hit poor tee shots sometimes take it out on the tee sign which is why many are made of stone.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Thanks for all of the great inputs. I will experiment with the various materials. I have yet to cut PVC or any other plastic, so that will be a learning curve.

I will definitely take a close look at the market. I know the owners of a couple of courses, so I'll get their inputs and try to find out if there is a market demand, or if it is already satisfied. If the market is good, I'll make some and post pictures.

Since I golf I know what Curtiss is saying is a real issue. The ball does not always go where I plan. LOL.
    Phil
    BT 32 Standard
    2.2 HP Spindle
    Aspire Sofrware

Cutting HDPE is really easy. If you don't already have the right bits a quick call to ONSRUD will get you setup. Tell them what machine you've got, and what you're cutting and they'll get you setup with the right bit.

I use these on HDPE: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm typically cutting in .2" passes at 4IPS at 18K RPM and I get a really nice finish.

PVC I go a little faster and get good results as well.

How do you paint HDPE?