Thread: How to resume at a different point in the tool path file

Default How to resume at a different point in the tool path file

Yesterday I had the body of the spindle run into a clamp and as a result the shopbot lost several steps, which put the tool in the wrong place. I was at the machine at the time and hit the space bar on the computer, which stopped the machine.

The origin was at table coordinates 0,0 so it was easy enough to put the tool back to a known place. I noted that I was just past line 2400 when I stopped the tool.

So how do I go about starting the cut file and going immediately to line 2400 without waiting to have it re-trace it's steps? It was at about 16 minutes into the cut file and I did not want to waste the time so I spent about an hour fiddling around. (Go Figure!) Finally I pulled up the cut file and edited out the lines starting at about 15 and going through 2400. I added a line to pull the Z up to 1 inch just before the lines that it should cut.

Is there not a good easy way to do this?

Never had to use it yet, and I'll need to watch it carefully again and make a cheat sheet or I'll muck it up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLY1btpEHqo
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Yes, be careful with the "Start from Line Number" command.
    You have to find a line close to the line number you wish to restart at where the spindle is at safe Z, and use that line number as your restarting point.
    Otherwise your spindle will slowly plunge to the Z depth specified as it moves to the x/y position to re-start the cut.

Sure glad I read this thread! Went out to check to see if I had that logging turned on, I did. Looked in folders of projects I'd done and sure emough there were log files. About two hours later. I actually had to stop a file and was able to restart from where I stopped using this trick. Thank you!
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

I usually just edit the file. I delete the lines between the first j2 command and the closest j2 command to the last cut line. just make sure you have a j2 line before any move line.