Thread: prs z ugrade and new dust shoe.

Default prs z ugrade and new dust shoe.

got the z installed a couple weeks ago. a few bugs but nothing earth shattering. it works great and got rid of my slop I had after 10 years of use. since it has a easy to adjust bar to hold the dust shoe I changed my old design thats clamped onto the spindle to one that can be adjusted. I like using horsehair brushes as they last and are really flexible. but for the 3" long ones I will have to make a wider shoe as they tend to get sucked up when cutting. I have room now to get a 4" hose in front but it would be tight and I would have the same issues I had with the 3" in front rubbing on everything. so I will stick with 3" and I will go to 4" right after when the new hose comes in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There you go teasing me with another way to spend my money. Although the z depth can get a little tight at times i cant say that i have had a real need for it. Most of my wood stock is 1.7 inches thick. That said i am curious if someone could posts pictures of things they were able to cut with the upgrade.

I don't need the extra z too often but when Ido these big signs that are usually a bit over 3" I could not cut through them. rousing a laser or pen on thick material running out of headroom. the best part is now my default z is 2" and I can change the bit and remove the brushes without using the keyboard command. getting rid of the slop was great and making room for the chose really helps. I got some new 4" hose and found out running the hose over the top takes care of the 3" hose catching on anything.
    my shoe is a lot lighter now too and adjustable. I need to make one with 3" brush but it needs to be wider or the dc will suck up the bristles.

I've been toying with building a new dust shoe. I now have access to a laser that I could use to cut the acrylic. However, I haven't found a supplier of brush material. Do you have a recommendation that you could share with me? Second question, how do you mount the brush material to the shoe?

Thanks for including some pictures. It truly is worth a thousand words.

you can buy just the brushes from Kents shoes. But i dont know the link.

http://www.brush.com/type/tstrip.html
    SG

I use horsehair as it is super flexible and lasts a really long time and does not stay bent too badly. but in 3" long it is pretty floppy. but I tried several plastic ones and they had issues I got tired of spending money on experimenting on them. tI used the aluminum channel last time this time just a slopt with a screw with wide head on each corner. I debated on buying them from kent the 3" maybe next time. I like how flexible the horsehair is and how it does not get so bent out of shape when cutting deep in a jig. I wanted to buy his setup but you can't really use a 4" hose on my setup and I wanted it adjustable.

How much extra Z did that give you? What was the approx. cost of everything? Looking to do this to mine in the near future. Thanks for sharing.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

the default is 8" you can go more if needed. it is around 1650 if you have a spindle you would need a new mounting plate. the 2" is great to have and the slop is gone.